Thermalright SI-128 compatibility

Jumbotron

Hello:

The cooler is already installed. I had no problems to install it in my Ultra-D.

However i have one minor concern: once installed, the base of the heatsink isn't covering the whole surface of my San Diego. The problem is not the size of the HS's base, it is bigger than the IHS. This is what happened: I placed the SI-128 over the CPU after applying a small amount of AS5, the base of the SI-128 covered all the IHS's surface. But when i hooked the two sides of the S-shaped mounting module of the SI-128 in each one of the 2 tabs of the retention bracket (some force needed at this stage), the base of the HS automatically slid a bit and, as a consequence of this sliding, it stopped covering the whole IHS. However the cooler's base still covers almost the total surface of the IHS and my CPU temp is apparently good.

See you.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Jumbotron,

Good to hear no real problems installing the SI-128 on your board. Mine should be arriving in the next 5 hours via FedEx. That seems odd the HS base slides to one side when clipping it down. None of the reviews I've read mentioned anything like that happening. I'll let you know how my installation goes once I get it done. Thanks for the update.

Just got my SI-128 installed. No problems clearing the CPU collar, the heat pipes clear it without issue. This thing is massive, barely had room to reach under it to push locking lever clockwise to lock it in place. While my Swiftech MCX6400-V cooled better than stock FX-60 HS/F by a couple of degrees, this monster is cooling my CPU at least 5C better with both cores loaded with FAH @100%, than the Swifty did loaded. The best part is that the 120mm fan runs at lower rpm and much quieter, putting out 72CFM of air @ 1,400 rpm and I'm seeing @ 1,298 rpm right now @ <14 dBA. My 80mm fan put out something like 45+ dBA and when the CPU got hot, it nearly sounded like a friggin' vaccum cleaner! Since I used ArcticSilver 5 for my TIM, the temps should drop a couple of degrees over the next couple of weeks but for now they're still better than they were, with an Extreme Performance Swiftech HS.

Pic of SI-128 installed here.

SI-128 UPDATE:

After watching temps with SI-128 installed, for @ 24+ hours now, I see a potentially serious problem with this cooler and some case configurations. There needs to be more than average air flow to achieve the best results with this cooler. My case, a CoolerMaster/WaveMaster TAC-TO1, has 2 x 80mm fans in front, one on top and one in the back. It has a clear blue side cover without a side fan. The PC P&C PSU has just one 80mm fan in the rear, pulling air through slots in the front of the unit (no bottom fan nor front fan on this puppy). With the side cover off, loaded temps rarely get over 43 C; but with the cover on CPU temps can climb to over 60 C loaded!!! There simply isn't enough air moving through this case, for the massive SI-128 and a 120mm fan to do their job. So much heat gets blown off of the heat pipes and cooling fins that the inside of the case gets extremely hot. If I modded the case to include a side panel fan, I'm sure this situation would be at least somewhat resolved, but while using my Swiftech MCX6400-V or even the stock AMD FX-60 HS/F with heat pipes I never had this problem. The 120mmx25mm fan sits less than an inch away from the side panel, so mounting an internal fan over the CPU/HS area would most likely be impossible. The best placement for a side fan, at least on this case, would most likely be just below the CrossFire slave card near the bottom front of the case.

So far while I'm impressed with the better cooling potential the SI-128 has to offer, I'm very disappointed with the fact that proper cooling cannot be achieved without removal of the side panel. I spent nearly $200 on this case close to 3 years ago, getting the WaveMaster TAC-TO1 before most people had even heard about them. I really don't want to start cutting and chopping the case just to get better air flow for this cooler. That being said, it's probably a better choice to go with a good water cooling system for this case, then put my new SI-128 in storage for another build. It’s a real shame too, since I just paid out $50 for the cooler, $22 for a good 120mm Pro series fan and almost $20 for FedEx 2nd day delivery. I could have used than cash to get a decent Danger Den liquid cooling system, then add some water blocks for my two ATI GPU chips as well.

As a conclusion, I really don’t like this cooler for cases without massive fan arrangements. There isn’t even room to add a second 80mm fan on the back of the case, and adding a 120mm fan anywhere is totally out of the question. If you like this cooler and are planning on buying one, I recommend you start with a case with ample fans, or at least the ability to add them. I can almost bet that the people writing the reviews for this cooler did so with the side panel removed at all times. Right now my CPU temps are a mere 40 C with the cover removed and with ambient room temps @ 77 F (A/C off). With the A/C blowing just under my workstation, CPU temps drop to a mere 38 C loaded with the side panel off, the best I've seen while running two instances of Folding@Home on both cores and 100% CPU Usage. If I put the side panel back on, I see a 10-20 C rise in loaded temps within an hour time, which is completely unacceptable to be sure.

In retrospect, this is a well made and very functional cooler, as long as there is more than adequate air flow in your case. My case just happens to fall below this category as I also suspect many others will as well. Just a warning to those contemplating the purchase of one of these coolers; be sure your case has a typhoon of air moving throuh it at all times or you may be very disappointed with the results!

Live and learn.

Is it me or is this new socket 939 retention mechanism the most braindead thing you've ever seen/used? Not only is it a major PITA to mount but the heatsink doesn't seem to be tight, it easily swivels when "locked" down. Temps are fine but my overall impression of the retention mechanism is that it sucks.

-pickles

It's not just you E-P, the retention system is lack-luster to say the least! My Swiftech MCX6400-V uses two heavy springs to mount the cooler to the board and it never moves. The SI-128 system is barely adequate, imo, and for a cooler this large it really should have a better anchoring system. Once you place a 120mm fan on this bad boy, it becomes even more top heavy due to the overall distance from the MoBo all that weight sits at. The only benefit I see to the retention mechanism is that with a short counter-clockwise rotation the cooler can be quickly removed for transport, no tools required. If a LanPartier you be, then I would highly recommend removal of the beast prior to transport and that to me is just a major pain in the a--. I think this thing would be better suited for Intel or AM2 CPUs, so as to take advantage of the 4-point mounting system, but then I never tried that myself.

When i put on the SI-128 onto my ultra-d, i though the clips would just spring out and hit my face. But that's not the case. Once i installed the locking mechanism, it was impossibly to move the SI-128. It is locked tight.

I even had to ask my housemate to clip it down for me because i had to use all my strength just to push that clip down to reach the retention Bbracket. Sitting idle at 33C and NB sitting idle at 36C using the HR-05. Both using AS5 and only did a burn in for 2 hours only.

Results looking pretty good. Might need to get a shorter and more powerful GFX to clear the HR-05.

My SI-128 fit very tightly as well. I didn't have the situation that Jumbotron had, that being the base sliding off the IHS of the CPU. While the base did sit slightly off center, it fully covered the top of the processor. Talk about a tight fit; I removed the Mainboard tray yesterday and found that the SI-128 was putting so much pressure on the CPU, it was actually bowing/warping the Mainboard! There is an obvious convex outward bow right against the backplate, as clearly seen on the back of the board. That one spring puts an insane amount of pressure on the CPU, but considering the size and weight of the heat sink I'm sure it needs it.

NB is at 35C and CPU at 34C with the fan spinning at ~400 rpm. Readings taken from Everest 3.0

Tried overclocking to 2750 MHz. But one of the core failed after 10 minutes. Temperature was at 45-47C at this settings. Going to get the Antec Nine Hundred for better cooling sometime in the near future.