Sign in to follow this  
Manaknight

making my opteron 150 an opterown <_<

hey guys

i actually have something worth posting (been lurking but not posting for a while). got the chance to swap out my 3500+ for an opteron 150 (mwave deal). So here i am, i got the chip in no problems, it works memtested, no issues like with my 3500 when i first got it. so i begin the overclock... i checked out the post over at extreme overclocking that the gskill tech posted on my g.skill ram timing, also checked out the database here on the street. i have my ram set up to other ultra-D's.

Now i run into a problem, with my 150 multi at 12x and my ram at 250 windows liked to get flaky, i uped the voltage on the opty to 1.45, windows boots, anything over 250 and i get the driver irql blue screen. no big i reboot and play around.

drop the multiplyer and leave the fsb, windows boots without issues, run 3dmark05 and i get wierd artifacting/ghosting, drop the fsb down in bios to 245 or 240 (can't remember where i am at not). come back in and 3dmark05 runs without a hiccup and is just skirting 10k marks. i am not excited but want to be sure, prime95 torture test (now remember at these settings 3dmark, memtest, and a few games ran just fine), fire up the torture test and i get an error in about 10 seconds.

so what am i doing or not doing, i'm still sort of feeling my way through this overclocking on a DFI thing, i would like to at least get around 2.8 on stock cooling with this thing, or am i shooting too high until i can get a better cpu cooler?

any insight from the old hands at this would be awesome

oh and mbm with the dfi board package installed says that my opty has not gone above 47c underload, and it usually idles 32-34 and only breaks into the 40's under a LOT of pressure (3dmark06 cpu test did it). this is also before the as5 sets in.

ermm... as far as I know its not too good to go high clocks on stock cooling, I would get a good cooler before getting into some serious overclocking!

g.skill sticks are using the normal timings, as in what they are rated plus what the g.skill tech gave on the rundown for the other settings.

i'll try the suggested maxes with my processor and ram. to be honest i never did so because i was totally clueless on the settings for the ram until i found the g.skill posts on here.

as for cooling, what would be the way to go for an overclocking air cooler, i've heard good things about the xp-90, and there is also the xp-120, both of which have an aluminum and copper version, whats the general consensus as the good overclocking cooler? one of these or something else?

Are they HZ sticks? If so 2.5-3-3-8 as listed in you sig are not the stock settings and will limit your overclocking.

Guest MadDias

afaik there are only two 2gb pc4000 g.skill kits..

the hz´s and the hv´s

none of them have timings of 2,5-3-3-8

ur overclock won´t go very far with those timings...

g.skill sticks are using the normal timings, as in what they are rated plus what the g.skill tech gave on the rundown for the other settings.

i'll try the suggested maxes with my processor and ram. to be honest i never did so because i was totally clueless on the settings for the ram until i found the g.skill posts on here.

as for cooling, what would be the way to go for an overclocking air cooler, i've heard good things about the xp-90, and there is also the xp-120, both of which have an aluminum and copper version, whats the general consensus as the good overclocking cooler? one of these or something else?

The xp-90 is a great budget cooler keeps my temps really good for just air cooling. After lapping it my temps dropped even more. Very highly recommended around here. Click on Happy's sig link to svc and it is only 26.95 and you can get really nice fans for good prices from them to.

Okay... I may've read it wrong but according to what I'm reading, you have your ram set at 250 in the BIOS AND your FSB is set to 240?!? That means your ram is running at 590Mhz dude LOL You should post yer complete BIOS Settings so we can give ya some real help, just get a piece of paper like I did and go in to your BIOS, writ'em down, all we need is the BIOS screen that has the CPU stuff and the the DRAM screen ;)

as soon as i'm done rendering my homework i'll write those down, however i am fairly certain that my ram is set to 200, and my fsb is (was) at 250, i currently have said fsb at 225.

i'll get everything written down and update in a bit