NF4 Sli DR Karajan SPdif & Creative Digital 5500

Sorry fairly long post :)

Had a few odd hours this sunday to try and find out why two of my audio channels were not working.

So far I have the Creative decoder connected to Spdif, front, sub, and centre speakers work fine, however the rear give nothing?

Decided to remove the Spdif and connect the inputs that go into the decoder directly into the motherboard audio connectors. All speakers now work fine, however there is an awful noise, popping, humming etc, it's as if the input into the amp is too high (Even after reducing everything in control panel)

The self test for the speakers work fine, so can only assume that :-

A: The decoder is chuffed?

B: The Spdif output is somehow wrong?

On the front of the creative I have an option to select stereo, Pro Logic, or Dolby Digital, but I can only select the first two?

I have the realtek software loaded, and on self test it confirms the rear do not work.

Is this a software? driver? or decoder problem? I am not too concerned if the decoder has died, just wondered what to buy to replace the speakers and decoder? As I do not wish to use the rear audio as it tends to be a bit noisey. (Unless you know otherwise?) I prefer to use SPdif with a single cable.

All drivers came from the CD that came with the motherboard November last year.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
There is no hardware decoding on SPDIF and is stereo out only unless it is decoded by software before output over cable...

RGone...:confused:

Really?

I thought the output would allow connection to a 5.1 decoder? And that SPdiff output was encoded? Well you live and learn.. So basically I have a surround sound system as long as I use the standard jack outputs? (Which I might add, suffered from a hell of a lot of interfence) Looks like I might have to invest in a better sound card?

Paul.