Sign in to follow this  
edjahman

core temp program

I just installed coretemp and there is about a 10C difference at idle between cores. Load temps are almost the same. Smartguardian and bios temps are about 10C cooler. So, which temps should be the most accurate I wonder. If coretemp is the most accurate then that would explain why I cannot reach 3 ghz. because my load temps. are 53C for one core and 57C for the other while smartguardian reports 45C at 100% load.

Where can I buy a temp. probe to place between the cpu and heatsink? Is that the most accurate way of temp.monitoring?

Thanks.

--EJM

I've had my own adventures with this so I suppose I'll chime in...

Measuring the temps with a thermistor isn't as accurate as you might believe because you're still only getting the surface temps while the hottest temps are inside at the core.

I'm Priming at 2906MHz at 1.488V and BIOS gives me pretty good temps in the low to mid 40's. SG and Speedfan say I'm in the high 50's and Core Temp has me roasting at 74C :eek: I'm inclined to believe that I'm somewhere in the high 40's/low 50's at full load.

My best advice to you is make a practical decision as to which temp is most accurate given your cooling solution, voltages, and load. I don't think there is anything wrong with making an educated guess because that's what many hardware monitors do.

EDIT: Even the voltages that some of these programs report are off by as many as 30 mV.

From what I've read about cpu temps, most people here say that the cpu temp is 10 to 14 degrees C higher than what is reported by the bios and you will have to determine how much error there is. I have a SI-120 and a panaflo 120mm fan (105 cfm). My cpu temp is 36 C load and 24 C idle and cpu voltage is 1.50v. If you are running 1.45v the temps you are getting seem too high. Try resetting the hsf. Clean off the thermal grease and apply new as5. Search the forum for cpu temps for more information.

If you put a thermister between the hsf and the cpu you are not going to get proper contact between them.

I have been using the Core Temp program. At idle it will report core temps of ~25-27C for each core. Under load, it will report 44-47C for each core, which corresponds to Smart Guardian. SG wil be reporting 45-46C. SG seems to be an average of the 2 core temps. At idle, SG reports 33-35C, depending on ambient temps. My room temps ranges from 18C - 20C.

The revision of my Expert board seems to report cpu temps acccurately using a +10 offset in the BIOS. Both programs, under load, seem to correlate to each other.

When I first put my 4400 into my board, I was skimpy on the AS5. With core temp I was getting a 5-10 degree difference between the cores. I pulled the board, reapplied the AS5, this time using a good sized BB,reset the heatsink and found that I now have a 2-3 degree differnce between the cores. Sometimes the cores are reading identical temps, but the 2 cores stay within 2-3 degrees of each other. In my case, I would say that I had poor thermal contact with the paste, cpu and heat sink.

Try reapplying your thermal paste and reseating your heat sink. As far as a thermal probe, I have never used one. You will be only measuring temps from the outside of the IHS.