Sign in to follow this  
synergy

DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert No Post problem

Yes. Follow the guide but skip the step of removing the battery.

I've a similar rig to yours, and I had a hard time getting started too. For me it was ram woes. I finally got OCZ ram and used the cookbook settings for the Expert with that ram (published on the BleedinEdge forum). Only then could I get up and running. But once I did, all was well in OZ. OCZ's recommended settings for my ram didn't result in a stable system. Some very savvy people have tried lots of ram types with lots of DFI mobos over there. And that's what worked for me and my Expert.

You seem to be experienced and open to trying new things, scrounge around the forum and see if anyone has had success with ram that you have (or can get your hands on) and the Expert board. Maybe that will work.

Best of luck.

(BTW, I think you can eliminate your PSU as the culprit.)

But you should never remove the battery in an Expert board. Doing so may allow the board to overvolt the processor when turned back on.

huh??

huh??

As I understand it the expert board stores some of your voltage settings in the battery and when cleared there is a chance of it using voltage that wasn't intended. Praz can probably explain it better than I can.

Edit- I know there is a post about it somewhere but not sure where it is now.

WHew,

you don't want to know how many times I cleared CMOS. So never ever never remove the battery again, gotcha. If i blew this 4400 chip up because of that, I'd cry like a baby.

WHew,

you don't want to know how many times I cleared CMOS. So never ever never remove the battery again, gotcha. If i blew this 4400 chip up because of that, I'd cry like a baby.

No doubt man that is one sweet assed chip, If I find the thread about it i'll send ya the link. I found out about it researching the expert before I got mine.

After some browsing suggested by Clark Hume, I found out that Gigaram isn't supported by the motherboard, and that I should probably start off by changing the ram, as that's most likely the problem.

BTW, Here's the ram that I was looking into buying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231021

If anyone knows where I could purchase that ram, or standard 1 gig sticks with the model number ending in HZ, it would be appreciated.

Once again thank you for all of your help.

Also, Praz, thanks for telling me not to remove the battery. I would hate to ruin my Opty!

@notroosmacfan

Spend some time looking at the sigs in the Stock Speed Database and Overclocking Database forums.

Pay attention to the RAM choice as well as the PSU.

Evidently the Expert stores VCORE voltages in the power controller. Removing the battery erases the Startup VID until reset by the BIOS. During startup the controller can supply enough voltage to burn out the processor. In this post ExRoadie says the following:

The nF4 Expert board requires that you leave the CMOS battery in at all times.

Mushkin 2x1GB Redlines would also be an excellent choice for the Expert.

ExRoadie,

I've looked on many threads, and sites, and most seem to believe that the g.skill where the model number ends in HZ overclock extremely well, and that they work very well with DFI boards.

When I also searched for gigaram on this forum, I found many people who said that they had similiar problems with gigaram on DFI boards, went to g.skill, and don't have any errors on memtest86, which also seems like a problem with some brands on this board.

For the price this g.skill seems to be the best bang for your buck, but everywhere I look it's out of stock, so if anyone knows where I could buy 2 sticks, please reply.

Edit: @Praz, those Redlines look really nice, thanks for the suggestion! Also, thanks for explaining about the CMOS battery, and why you need to keep it in.

Thanks,

notroosmacfan