Sign in to follow this  
ShadeZeRO

is my CPU just slow?

Hey guys, I've been trying to overclock my AMD64 3400+ (Clawhammer 754).

I can't seem to get it past 2.3Ghz =(

Right now its set to 210x11 FSB, at a rock solid stable 2.3ghz, I ran Prime95 all night, even played some source on my server.

I tried messing with the CPU multi's.

I tired 235x10, which freezes also, it seems like, no matter what I can't get past 2.3 =(

--with my memory dividers

Anything else I can try?

Guest BFG

You can try tweaking ram timings, increasing the cpu/ram voltage, make sure that cool and quiet is disabled. (Do they even have that on 754?)

I have an old 3400+ 754 socket that's under a Thermaltake 6 heatpipe cooler, highest I ever got it was 2.4GHz.

754 sockets, and 130nm cores in general, suck at OCing from what I've seen.

And to be frank, 2.3 isn't that shabby for an ol' 3400, like I said, highest I ever got mine was 2.4, and it wasn't exactly the most stable thing ever.

With the ram you have, you should be able to OC to kingdom come, so what I would do is like they suggested follow Thunda's guide, specifically the part about finding your CPU's max. If your CPU aint' stable when yer ram is way down at around 400MHz, and your HTT is at around 400MHz, then it's yer CPU, plain and simple.

>1GB Corsair XMS DDR550 (2x512MB)

@ 210Mhz CAS 2-2-2-5-1T<

Even if this memory is great at 'ocing, you're timings might be too tight. Try relaxing them. Remember, cpu is king. I'm quoting someone here but work your memory around your cpu, don't work the cpu around your memory. And you'll always have to make some kind of compromise, but i think you can get a little better with that cpu. I got up to 2.398mgh, and that was with my old asus board, with no agp/pci/sata lock. Make sure you're using sata connector 3 or 4, as they are locked. Set agp at 67.

I've read in other forums, people have gotten higher than 2.4. I think the cieling for the 3400+ (cg-1mb cache) is about 2.5, maybe 2.6 if you're lucky, but i wouldn't go that high. It won't last very long, having to work so hard (and hot)

I've been reading some other forums (and this one) on our amd3400's, and it seems the co and cg versions are not great overclockers, like the newcastles and venice cores. They can get up to 2.7 stable. I don't know if it's the extra baggage of the 1mg cache, but that 1mg of cache can make up for the difference in real time gaming.

So don't feel too bad if you can't get it to go very high, games with the unreal-doom-farcry like engines do well with the extra cache, so you'll still get good framerates. Don't let the benchies dictate to you how well your real life games will perform. With my memory, I did almost as good @ stock settings than with an 'oc of 2.57, running memory on a divider (forgot which one-closest one to 1:01), but I'm not familiar enough with the memory settings. I have a lot to learn and a long road ahead, but I'll eventually get at a reasonable stable 'oc of 2.4 with the tightest i can get my memory to go.

It takes a lot of time, patience and reading, I'm finding out. so...jion the club!

And don't let it get ya down. think of it as a challenge, and we're also learning a lot about our pc's, right? Right.

Peace out.