Just got my board back from RMA

Yeah, but it still pisses me off that I have this great cooling, Amazing Board, Kickass AGP card.

And my CPU doesn't OC past 100 Mhz. =(

is 1.6 Volts really safe? Or should I stick to the 1.52 I have right now?

also, is there any BIOS that can possibly help me out?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the price we pay for a good CPU but a bad overclocker.

If you get a little program Called OCCT then you can do a 30 min torture test and if it can pass that then you can check various temp and voltage charts to see how your CPU did during the half hour and if it fails or gets too high of a temp then OCCT will stop itself. but you need to pass to get the info on your CPU. After you get it to pass you can reduce the voltage by tiny amounts using the voltage chart you printed and get it as low as possible but still passing OCCT

What are your Temps like now at 2.31Ghz at 100% CPU load ?

PS no man I would up the voltage by only 0.025 at a time when you get past 1.6v

This is a screenshot of it.

I have SuperPi Running at 8M, and I have Prime95 Running, 2 CPU-Z, my antivirus was scanning too lol. So I figure that would be 100% CPU usage and then some.

oc2al5.th.jpg

And freaking, I can never do the torture test on Prime95, even at stock speeds =( I just go by the 'start' and leave it on for a while, it causes my CPU to goto 100% and my system resources to high.

But you want every available resource used so you can say your moderately stable. I myself never have the patients to wait 8 hours for prime to finish, but OCCT 30 min gives me some piece of mind where my CPU is concerned. Like I said If OCCT makes your processor get too hot then it switches off or if it encounters CPU errors it will stop and tell you.

Just don't use the tight timings of 2,2,2,5 while trying to find your CPU limit thats probably whats holding you back. Put the RAM at the rated timings it has on it and just raise your FSB 10 MHz at a time. When you get a system fault or reboot raise the Vcore by a little and see if it gets you stable. Don't be bothered about the timings not being tight now when you get a decent overclock you can try and tighten them later.

We both have clawhammers, both are 130nm, My stock Voltage is 1.5v and yours too so they should take around the same voltage for heat. I have had mine at 1.7 Vcore, im not asking you to go that high but you could take 1.64 or 1.65 as your limit for safety sake

then you should be ok, but its really what you feel comfortable with ya know?

You don't need to use the floppy-raid controller drivers to do the f6 thing. like Branjo said, it's only if you're using more than one sata drive and you want to create a RAID array. Just plug your sata drive into mobo connector 3 or 4 (just under cpu). Go into bios, set your first bootable to cd or dvd, (whatever you have your operating system on,) i believe you said you burnt the drivers to the dvd. Don't use it.

Just follow HG's guide on slipstreaming sp2, (i used the free trieal version of nero 7 ultra), or your own sofware if it can do that. Boot from the slipstreamed dvd and you should be good to go. It will format your drive (just follow instructions. when you have windows installed, and your ready to install mobo stuff, don't install the ide or firewall. They have been known to be very problematic. Also if i remember right, Ati drivers come with the gart driver, I don't think i installed them from the mobo cd. but if someone with this board remembers whether or not the gart drivers are needed from the mobo cd, feel free to correct me.

And on a side note, you don't need to have all that bloated netware crap from micro$ucks. I'm using the latest drivers and wdm integrated drivers and the traditional control panel and not the catalyst control center which many people claim it slows down their pc, not to mention it's a memory hog and you still ned that netcrap to run it. I have great framerates and I'm not even 'ocing yet. But you are free to do as you think best.

• 3 weeks later...

Shadezero, are you doing a windoze install while 'oced? I hear that's not a good idea. I've read a few posts it's best to install at stock speed, then 'oc after you get stock stable. Just what i read.