Just got my board back from RMA

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem. I made my C:Backup with all the stuff I needed to keep.

But well, looks like everytime i click on it, or try to move stuff inside of it. I get an error

'access is denied' ...thats brutal. Anyway to change permissions and what not ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Fixed that one : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, I seem to have a unknown device, that is by far...unknown to me. It has no information what so ever . What would be the best way of figuring it out?

^^^ FIXED THAT TOO!!! ^^^^

Time for some tweaking!

yeah, about that. Should I trust what I see in CPU-Z or what I see in the bios?

I swear, there are like 3 differnt numbers I get from them. I read the guide.

Right now I'm just starting, but I have my memory Divider at 9:10 with my ram at 192mhz CAS2:2-2-5 (I dont know how to turn on 1T, I just turned off the command rate thing in the bios).

I got the FSB at 210mhz. This is my goal, Max CPU, but keep the memory dividers going. SO my ram stays at 200Mhz with tight timings.

The command rate is the 1T control, enabled is 1T and disabled is 2T

If your memory is DDR 550 then it should do an FSB of 275, You shouldn't need to put your memory on a divider at all

What is the default multiplier for your CPU and Voltage?

Edit: ok a quick google says its 1.4v and at 2.2Ghz

Now don't try this straight away but theoretically you should be able to do an FSB of 275Mhz and putting your CPU at 8X and your RAM at 1:1

That would be 2.2Ghz (default) and your RAM at DDR550 I dont know if the Vcore voltage needs adjusting to get that.

Need to know what are the timings your RAM has wrote on it inorder to run at DDR550

yeah, but wouldn't the timings just be horrid? Its cas 2.5 : 4-4-8 @550MHZ on the thing.

I hear its better to have tigher timings at a lower freq on the AMD CPU's then it is to have higher with loose timings.

you're google was too quick. My CPU is at 1.5v its supposed to be anyways. It doesn't OC very well though. I'm not sure what is the prob. Even at 215FSB, it freezes and restarts on SuperPi 32million. and I have my voltage set to 1.48 and it goes to about 1.504. Fluctuating. I should probly raise it a bit, (These voltages are what CPU-Z tells me)

smartguardianfj4.jpg

I tried OCIng my CPU by Raising the FSB, and adjusting the dividers accordingly.

But, no matter what I do, I can't pull a stable OC over 210FSB. But, I'm not sure if I'm doing somethign wrong or not.

Does this have stable AGP/PCI locks? I set it to 67 in the bios, but i'm not too sure if there is anything else to do.

I even tried, dropping the multiplier to 10x then the HTT/LDR to 3x (to help it adjust), then the FSB upto 220 (for stock speeds), then 235 (equiv to 215 at 11x Multi) and it would still hang up. I have no idea whats wrong.

yes your PCI and AGP will always be what you set them at. Ok for me my stock speed is 2.4Ghz and 1.5v if I overclock to 2.6Ghz I usually need to up the Vcore to 1.62v I have had mine to 2.7Ghz but at 1.7v I dont like to go any higher as Im still on air cooling.

Yeah the Vcore does go up and down a little for me too I would believe the BIOS setting is the one you only need worry about. If I were you i'd try and not go any higher than 1.6 for now but looking at your CPU temp its actually very good what kind of cooler do you have on it. I idle at around 38-40 with a load temp of about 48-50 I need to re place my Arctic Silver compound.

I would say raise your Vcore and dont let your load temps get over 50C MAX. I think you might need to research your memory more. you could try running memtest on them when you raise the FSB to make sure its them and not the CPU thats giving you problems. It could be as simple as timings or voltage. Clawhammers really arent the CPU for overclocking, the newcastle's seem a lot better in terms of % of overclock.

I still think that CL2.5 at DDR550 is way better than CL2.0 at DDR400 but I'm no overclocking Guru, there are very knowledgeable guys n gals here in that department

that can give you better advice.

I would try and get your memory to run at its designed speed first and then start playing with the tighter timings.

By the Way what BIOS version are you using?

What kind of clawhammer do you have? CG or C0? If that's an old C0 (or a cg that's not a late 04 week), taking some extra 200mhz can be very hard without tons of voltage.

As an example, my 3.7+ cg will do 2.6 with only 1.55v (didn't try stock), but my old hammer c0 2.0+ would need 1.60-1.65v to push the same extra 200mhz.

If you are aiming for lower multipliers and high fsb, beware that 754's 64s are very limited to run two double sided sticks at high speed because it's too much load on the same channel. 250mhz it's possible, but near 265 you might find a wall with two sticks unlike in a 939. Using a short refresh as 3.9ns (tref), upping trtw to 4, so as max assynch latency and read preamble to very relaxed values as 9/6.5 or even 10/7, disabling dynamic idle counter and setting the idle cycle lenght to 256 should help you to max out htt.

Also beware if you don't have any multiplier bug, this board with some cpus craps out at memtest 5 under some combinations. My 3.7+ (stock 12x) will do 12x217 and 10x217, but not 11x217 (or almost anything over stock at 11x).

@ branjo : I have an ALPHA Heatsink (its some japanese company), they made custom heatsinks with some type of special metal rods back a while ago. I also have a vantec tornado on it. Also about 7 other Fans in my case. I've basiclly tweaked the hell out of my aircooling. ofcrouse AS-5 is on it too.

@ Maarek: I have the c0

cpuzyv7.jpg

I'll try raising the FSB with vcore and seeing what happens.