Sign in to follow this  
ShadeZeRO

Just got my board back from RMA

Hey guys, I got my DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250gb (couldn't they come up with a shorter name -_- )

It came back from RMA due to my last one was DOA. I got it booting up, working decently. It was freezing, but that was due to my ram voltages being too low, I fixed that, and the timings.

its working more or less.

I'm going to use BartPE and copy all my essential files from C: to C:Backup to do a new install.

Ok, I have everything backed up that I want to keep in my C:Backup folder. Now what I am wondering is how do i make a fresh new windows install that cleans out everything besides that?

Just move your backup stuff to another drive, then wipe out your existing c: drive with a format and reinstall. That's what I'd do anyways.

I think maybe he is only using 1 drive? no hard drives in the sig

If you are, then when XP setup asks you want way you want to format the partition then just say leave current file system intact (no Changes) then it will install alongside your backup folder. But if there is a way you can get the backups to another drive or even burned to CD's or DVD's then wiping your C drive is the way to go.

PS if you are using a single drive make sure you have more than 1 partition so you can keep your stuff on that if you need to format again.

How do I create another partition? Since I can't access windows at all.

And yes I am only using 1 drive. A western Digital 250gb SATA.

Sorry I meant for next time, you cant do it now only way is to install XP to the drive without formatting it. Unless maybe there is a program someone knows of that can run in DOS that will partition the drive without deleting the backup folder? I don't know of one though

Just don't format the drive, if the option "Leave current file system intact" isn't there and if your backup folder is really important I would get an in expensive drive to copy them too.

an old IDE would work great if you have a friend that could spare one for a day to help you out.

Ok, im' installing windows, and using "keep file system" and then after its done installing, is it ok to delete my entire PROGRAM FILES folder? and all the other folders to basically make everything brand new?

I had to slip stream my nvidia raid drivers due to the floppy I had was defective, or something, and i have no other computers with floppy drives. Man I wish it supported USB flash drives =(

I'm having hard time with this slipstream. Manly winnt.sif It's always about Line 22, but I keep editing it, and it still doesn't work. I'm just gonna take out the section of cdkey, full name and organization. Dang, Now its line 17 =(

[GuiUnattended]

OEMSkipWelcome = 1

I'll just take that out too. Then this is what I am left with.

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

TargetPath=WINDOWS

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath=DriversRAIDWinXP

Now its line 13 thats the problem! It's always the last line =(

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Is there a way for it to just grab the raid drivers from the OEM folder? without having to use this WINNT.sif?

I'm going to try and just do only this line in the file

OemPnPDriversPath=DriversRAIDWinXP

Ok, I did that.......and its giving me an error on line-1 =(

I think....im going to go INSANE

Last amount of creatism....Use Bart PE, get the Raid Files off the net, and use a virtual floppy emulator to put it on there, copy it on to my USB Drive, take it to my comp with bartpe, and then copy it on to the disk!?

If you are using the windows unnattended setup, dont it's mucho hassle.

Use Nlite it makes it very easy.

Make sure you have net.framework 1.1 or even better 2.0 to be able to run it

its an awesome little program, lets you streamline SP2, drivers and hotfixes.

Also get a little program called Driver collector and when you run it select the different drivers on the list that is installed on your machine then hit the "collect" button and they will be in a folder in your main C drive. then just point nlite to them when it asks and so on.

Then when your done it makes an ISO for you too burn and it will be bootable too.

You can take out all of the useless things in XP that you never use too.

For your first time just leave everything as it is and burn that. then you can experiment taking different things out.