VGA Cooler - Thermalright HR-03

mrzeld

I was pretty sure I could make out notches on the cooler, presumably for the purpose of mounting clips for a fan similar to the clips on the SI-120 or XP-90.

Yes it is desined to also be used with a fan placed directly on the fins or with the case mounted/heatsink mounted fans blowing on it. Much like the hr-1 120 cpu heatsink which could be "passive"and the 120 ultra they njow have out which is made just for a fan and works much better with a fan than the previous hr model. Usualy the Hr by thermalright designates coolers designed to be passive to some extent or pseudo passive with a fan blowing on them sorry for any lack of clarity.

• 4 weeks later...

Correction. I'll have to let you know how it works... as soon as I get a video card it'll fit on.

The 6600's holes aren't spaced right for it. :sad:

I'm not terribly disappointed. Now that I have a job, it is not going to be long at all before I get myself a new video card. So no big deal.

I just got one of these this weekend for my X1900XTX, and it pretty much rocks my idle temps went from 47c to 35c and on load it never goes over 60c. I do have it paired with 92mm fan and it is not near as loud as the stock cooler at low speed. If you need a cooler for your high end gpu I highly recommend this. I have also read on other forums that you can use this passive and still get really good results.

Well, not to worry folks. I fixed the problem of the HR-03 not fitting the 6600GT. How you ask? I bought a 7950GT. :D

When it arrives I will install it with stock cooler and log temps in 3DMark. I will then install the HR-03 and log temps again in 3DMark.

I know most of you would've gone for the 8800GTX, but it's way more than I need and the HR-03 won't even work on it anyway.