Sign in to follow this  
disko33

uh oh...thermal grease on cpu pins

I was in the process of switching processors around in my computers today, and somehow managed to get some of the Zalman thermal grease from my CNPS9500 cooler onto the side of the CPU with the pins. Its not a ton, but I am having some trouble figuring out how to get it off of there since its in between the pins. Is this something I need to worry about, I don't want it to short anything out if I plug it in the socket like this. I have some Arctic Silver thermal paste remover liquid stuff that I was using on the top of the cpu block, but I doubt you want to get liquids anywhere near the pins, correct?

I imagine this has to have happended to someone before, so any suggestions?

IMG_3148_800.jpg

i used a credit card with a bit of loo roll on, just a single sheet tight around it coupled with some cleaner, it cleaned the cpu off the cpu still works so i was happy dunno if i was just lucky i didnt break it but it seemed to work fine :)

I had it too.

I did remove it very carefully with the liquid remover bottle 1 and an papertowel and let it dry good.

It didn't hurt my cpu.

Better never spill anything on the pins or circuits :P

It is and will be a very precise cleaning job, you should use a magnifying glass.

I normally use A.S. ceramique as thermal paste, that's less or non conductive than A.S. or other thermal paste if spilled.

A creditcard is multi functional. :)

A creditcard is multi functional.

Yeah!

1: cleans your cpu

2: gets you into so much debt you cry yourself to sleep at night

lol

there is nothing on the arcticclean site that i can find that says not to use it on the pin side of a cpu. just says not to use it on styrene-based plastics. in fact it says this...

The flash corrosion inhibitors in ArctiClean 2 then significantly reduce the corrosion layer on the copper or aluminum, improving the interface between the metal and the new thermal material and maximizing thermal transfer.

i would say get a q-tip and carefully clean the pins. then let it sit for a few hours to dry.

Well, after about an hour of meticulous cleaning, with a combination of a needle, credit card, and a tiny peice of paper towel with a touch of arctic cleaner, i think i managed to get it all off, or at least so I can't really see it anymore. I probably just managed to spread it around more than anything else, but I am going to let it dry for a couple of hours, and pray that it still works ok! Thanks for your tips...

Well, after about an hour of meticulous cleaning, with a combination of a needle, credit card, and a tiny peice of paper towel with a touch of arctic cleaner, i think i managed to get it all off, or at least so I can't really see it anymore. I probably just managed to spread it around more than anything else, but I am going to let it dry for a couple of hours, and pray that it still works ok! Thanks for your tips...

Glad you got it fixed. I think using Arctic Clean would have worked fine, then some alcohol to completely clean it.

i got it on one of the pins on mine one time, but it was on the tip i think so i just wiped it off and it worked fine. it shouldt hurt it, as long as the pins are clean

actually what would happen if some dust on the pins and we dont clean it (while u are not seeing it)??

i mean accidently..

possibilities of fried cpu??

Alright, plugged it in the new computer, and everything seems to be working excellent. I'm very happy, because I really didn't want to have to buy a new CPU! Thanks again for your tips.