Sign in to follow this  
KBC

Overclocking X2 4400+ with G.Skill ZX PC3200 RAM

Hi, as title really... I'm trying to overclock my X2 4400+ with the G.Skill ZX (PC3200) RAM... its rated as DDR400. Currently my RAM fails to boot on the 9/10 divider when the multi is set at its default 11x and the FSB at 246MHz, which makes it 2.7GHz.

It only sucessfully boots to Windows when I run it on a 5/6 divider... with stock timings of 2.0-3-2-5. I've tried slackening the timings to 2.5-3-3-8 on the 9/10 divider and it still fails to boot even with the FSB set to 240MHz (2.6GHz on the CPU)...

My current setup is 2.6GHz with the FSB at 239MHz and the multi on 11x with stock timings of 2.0-3-2-5 and a 5/6 divider. Does this seem fine? Or would you recommend some faster RAM like the G.Skill HZ?

Thanks.

Go with the HZ if you can, and yes, 2.7 on 4400 running the 5/6 seems standard.

If she can dual prime for 8+ hrs running the 5/6 at 2.7 I would say leave it there and crack a cold one.

Go with the HZ if you can, and yes, 2.7 on 4400 running the 5/6 seems standard.

If she can dual prime for 8+ hrs running the 5/6 at 2.7 I would say leave it there and crack a cold one.

Hi h_Us3r, I've just noticed your sig. Are you running your X2 4400+ at 1:1 with your G.Skill HZ? I assume that HZ RAM will do 250MHz fine with a 11x multi (2.7GHz) at its stock timings?

I wish I could run [email protected]:1...I have to run a 5/6 divider, I will try testing a 9/10 once this watercooling situation is resolved. The only thing the HZ guarantees you is that you'll have some more headroom for your OC, nothing more and nothing less. I would also suggest trying to raise your yield by using the 10x multi.

With the current settings above, I was getting pretty bad framerates, the FPS would suddenly go down during a game of Counter Strike Source... This was at the following setting:

Multi = 11x

FSB = 239MHz

CPU = 2.6GHz

Divider = 5/6

So I reverted everything back to stock, and ran 3DMark06 again and got a score of 1685 for the CPU @ 2.2GHz. Whereas the above @2.6GHz I was receiving ~1500.

I can't see the logic, but is the CPU throttling or something? The FPS deterioration is extremely noticeable during gameplay.

With the current settings above, I was getting pretty bad framerates, the FPS would suddenly go down during a game of Counter Strike Source... This was at the following setting:

Multi = 11x

FSB = 239MHz

CPU = 2.6GHz

Divider = 5/6

So I reverted everything back to stock, and ran 3DMark06 again and got a score of 1685 for the CPU @ 2.2GHz. Whereas the above @2.6GHz I was receiving ~1500.

I can't see the logic, but is the CPU throttling or something? The FPS deterioration is extremely noticeable during gameplay.

Did you disable thermal throttling in the BIOS?

Did you disable thermal throttling in the BIOS?

Hi MalibuSS, I've just disabled it in my BIOS. It was defaulted to 50%. So when it reaches a certain temperature, it will throttle to only half the CPU power?

I'm also having trouble setting the FSB at 240 and 241. When this happens, this would kill my wireless connection - it's a PCI Linksys Wireless card. I've read that the DFI NF4 board automatically locks the PCI bus to prevent such problems?

It's fine at 239 FSB and seemed to also boot fine at 246MHz. Will run some game tests to see if the throttling has stopped.

There is no such thing as thermal throttling on AMD CPU's. Only Intel's have this. This throttling in the BIOS has absolutely NOTHING to do with heat. This setting is the speed the CPU runs in the suspend to RAM, or hibernate state. This means if it is set to 50% the CPU is still running 1 GHz when the system is in hibernation. Try to hibernate, come out of hibernation and look at your CPU temp.

If AMD motherboards did not have a thermal shutdown feature, the CPU will heat up until it fries.