Windows hates timing change

Is it true that windows hates all memory timing besides the one you used when it was installed? I installed Windows using 3-4-4-8 and it runs very smoothly. When I change the timing to 2.5-3-3-8 or 2.5-4-4-8 startup time goes up by a lot. I've tested the tighter timings and they are okay. So does this mean i should've tweaked my memory before installing windows???

Tweak or fully test your memory before installation isn't a bad idea, but is has probably nothing to do with what you describe.

Windows doesn't interfere with any settings, it might just be a more demanding os, since a lot of processes is going on and non-stable settings will cause big trouble.

Some memory modules do accept a greater variety of settings and others don't like nearly any changes of the main settings. The combination of RAM and memory controller can as well play a part. Real tests with your hardware is the only way to find out: failure and success. But try to be as sure as possible about what works before you do a final installation of XP.

Windows could care less unless you set them too tight. The problem is I don't think the HZ's can do 2.5. It will do 3-3-3-7, but I think 2.5 will not work at all. The auto rated timing is 3-5-5-10 for the HZ's.

Correct. HZ sticks will do 2.5 but it will be way below 250.