Building your own case?

Pending the release of the Lanparty Conroe board upon which I will build my system I would like to build my own case. I say this because I would like to make the outer shell out of aluminum, Maybe have it look like the Lanparty Toaster, but the outer shell would be alumium polished to a mirror finish. My question is can I get a prefab frame for a case so I dont have to construct all of that and the CD/HD trays and the mobo tray? I have some cases laying around but none of them will fit the UT or even the regualy Lanparty boards.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to discourage you, but having a mirror finish on your case is going to take a long time (or a lot of money, maybe both) to accomplish. It'd also almost never be clean.

Just throwin that out there, again I say go for it if its what you want.

As for case...well you could always get an inexpensive case (or one that you just like) and mod it to have the color you want.

Lian-Li of course comes to mind since they're already aluminum, then you'd just have to go to the effort and sanding, buffing, and polishing it. I'd say that'd probably be the easiest thing to do.

Another thing that stands out is the dollar amount for this.

For the polishing all I have to do is work my way from high abrasives (depending on the condition of the aluminum) to low abrasives. like going from a fine grit sand paper, to Ajax, to toothpaste to leave that minty fresh smell lol.

I can rip the drive bays out of an old case although it only has 2 CD bays and an odd way of mounting Hdds. The mobo tray is made for Matx though so it dosent really fit.

This is kinda to see if it is plausable for me to do seeing as I do not have even a dremil. My other case mod was done entirely with hand tools, although I regret doing that because it cut me up soo much.

They do powder coating and buffering but will set you back $250-300: www.kikboxes.com/kikshop/

Here's a great guide on that mirror shine:

www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-computer-pc-case-mod-how-to.html

Great guide, I never thought of painting it to tint it black

And I am looking at doing this for around $100 (US)

I am willing to put alot of elbow grease into this thing so I dont mind polishing it myself.

Sometimes with these case mods you bite off a lot more than you can chew.

While it can be a lot of fun, it can also be quite frustratin.

The name of the game is adequate tools. Gonna be tough without a dremel.

You need a real solid plan of attack. And costs add up real fast.

The real key is gonna be how well it performs.

Shiney panels may look kewl, but the rig may not run cool.

It's a lot of fun and great experience building/modding/designing your own case.

Check out as many mod sites as you can and get some ideas.

You can do anything you set your mind to, given enough time and money :)

Great guide, I never thought of painting it to tint it black

And I am looking at doing this for around $100 (US)

I am willing to put alot of elbow grease into this thing so I dont mind polishing it myself.

$100? Have you looked at the prices of sheet metal, lately? I'm building a HTPC case from scratch...and the sheet metal + angle aluminum is probably going to run me about $80.

Then, there's a motherboard tray, the paint (enamel black and the clearcoat), screws, fan guards, etc.

If you really want to go for $100, scrounge up some old cases and buy some good tools. Seriously. Not to discourage anything, just plan plan plan. Measure twice, cut once (the other way around isn't good ;) )

If you've got the time, I'd say go for it. A little elbow grease never hurt anyone. :P