Restart issue

Guest Fury_merged

Hi,

After installed my second stick of ram into my new ultra-d restarting and boot up has become a bit odd. On every restart the splash screen where it says verifiying DMI pool data only has a "_" flashing constantly until i reboot. When i press the restart button it loads fine.

Also is it meant to back up the cmos on every boot?

Any ideas why?

Fury

After you installed the new stick of RAM did you clear your CMOS and reset to optimized defaults?

After you've done that you'll probably need to go back in and adjust your memory settings a little bit. It's probable that the settings you were using with a single gig of RAM will not be perfect for running 2gb of RAM, especially since you didn't start with a matched set to begin with.

Use these settings as a starting point from a very similar rig that I've ran in the past.

FSB Bus Frequency - 200 or AUTO

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio - 3 or 4

LDT Bus Transfer - 16/16

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - AUTO

PCI eXpress Frequency - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value - Startup

CPU VID Control - 1.375v

CPU VID Special Control - Above VID * 104%

LDT Voltage Control - 1.30v

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.60v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.60v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 = RAM/FSB 1:1

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Disable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 04 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 04 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 14

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 02

Write recovery time (Twr) - 02

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles OR 3684

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - 01

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Normal 4

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 3

Max Async Latency - 9.0 Nano Seconds TRY 8.0 IF YOU CAN PASS MEMTEST AT 9.0

DRAM Response Time - Normal

Read Preamble Time - 6 Nano Seconds

IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

Also, you may be close to the maximum capacity of your power supply since you've added the extra stick of ram.

Ok, i got timings from G.SKill for this DFI board. Will try a full overnight cmos clear then a load optimised defaults. ( I didnt optimize last time)

Thanks

Fury

Did you build your rig like what is in the guide? Step by Step New Build

Did you memtest those RAM?

Start by enabling memtest in the BIOS and test #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all test for 20 passes. This is to rule out your memory been an issue.

Next do Prime95 a blend test for 8hr or so this will alos test the memory controller and CPU.

I primed for 9 hours today with both sticks in to. No errors.

EDIT: I did build it like that but i didnt cmos clear it the first time.

I have had to cmos clear (only for 1 min) because my ram sticks did not want to boot up in the yellow slots. And it would not post. Work fine in orange ones.

Prime is fine but you really need to memtest that RAM as I post in #4. It will really tell you if your memory is bad or not. Do memtest with the RAM in the orange slots.

Well overnight cmos clearjust didn't work. It actually froze in the bios the second time i entered the bios. (After optimised defaults and reboot). The "_" problem has also be shown as just a blank screen.

Running memtest86+ atm.

Could it be the psu? Its not the best psu in imho.

When looking through the first installation guide it said something about updating the ESCD. I could not do that as i couldn't see it in the bios.

This problem never occurs on a cold boot, or a warm boot. Only a restart...

Fury

Yeh ta, shame i am skint, lol. I will be the OCZ at some point when i have some money.

I did all the tests on memtest86+ to 12 passes with no errors. I can not leave it on for any longer because i either have to work on it or sleep next to it:rolleyes:

Any other ideas?

What BIOS version are you running - I wouldn't normally recommend it, but have you tried flashing to a newer and/or different one. If you consider it, use Tmods BIOS CD (check the BIOS factory on this site). It is by far the safest way to flash a bios for these boards. If I was you, i'd use the 704-2bta (Big Toe modded BIOS) as people have reported it is very RAM friendly...

If you are considering this as an option, don't forget you'll need to clear CMOS afterwards, load optimised defaults and then enter your timings again... NOTE: dont load anything from CMOS reloaded! Check that the settings are OK using MemTest again just to be sure then see if your problems are still occuring...

Problem is, if it is your PSU - then none of this is going to make a scratch of difference ;o)

Fury,

If you haven't already tried, please give the settings I provided in post #2 a go. They have been suprisingly universal for a number of different forum members here running different CPU's and motherboards.

Also, back to your first question about backing up CMOS, i've got quick boot enabled in my BIOS, and I still occassionally see the same message about backing up the BIOS.

Good luck.