Deadbeat Customer

Ziggy54354

First of all, an oral agreement IS a legal binding contract, despite what you all think.  The problem is proving it.  Without witnesses, or a recorded conversation your chances of prooving it is slim.  If he paid you for the parts with a credit card or personal check, it would be slightly easier, but still, without anything mentioning labor, it'd be hard.

I have to agree with ClayMeow, a verbal contract is a binding one... surely you must receipts for the components, or did he let you use his CC (that would explain your having his details) It would be obvious to the average joe that you built this system for him, otherwise he'd have done it himself.

Small claims is the path for you... no lawyers etc. but is it really worth it for $50?

your only out-of-pocket, for your own skill/time... put it down to an expensive learning experience... and never deal with the scumbag again, especially when he wants a service/upgrade.

Power to ya' :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to really prove that something is to fraudulent in an oral agreement is with a lie detector test. Always get something in writing. The lawyers here in Canada won't do anything unless there is something in writing. I know this after dealing with a $15K identity fraud claim.

The only way to really prove that something is to fraudulent in an oral agreement is with a lie detector test.

That's not true. First off, lie detectors (polygraphs) aren't completely accurate. And for small claims, it's not a viable option. To be done "accurately", a polygraph takes around 4 hours to complete. I'm not going to go into the steps, but it's not just what you see in the movies. There's prepping and stuff beforehand. (And no, i've never had one done on me, i'm no criminal :P ). There's also plenty of ways to "beat" a polygraph, and thus, that adds to the time, because the testers must be aware of this and watch for anything suspicious. (For example, if done properly, socks and shoes should be removed). So for such a small matter, the cost is far, far too much

Anyways, it's not the only way to prove an oral agreement. Like i said, with witnesses, or a tape recording, those work too. How do you think the fbi and cops to sting operations. They don't have their undercover cops demand a written contract for an illegal transaction. Nobody is that stupid.

I have 2 witnesses... as well as his credit card info which he obviously gave me, and a documented list of parts he ordered in Newegg's records. Let's say i used his card to buy something like iuhno.. a mx700... (roughly 50$) He couldn't do squat because i'd have enough proof to indicate that i purchased and built the computer correct?

Edited by Ziggy54354

oh yea i did, the reason for this, he is/was a friend of my cousin so i gave him the benifit of the doubt and trusted him

btw HIS credit card information is under MY newegg account, that probably clears up some stuff as well.

Edited by Ziggy54354

without a written contract, there's not much you can do.... always, always, always get it in writing.

I'm with red on this one. The days of having a handshake deal are long gone. New slogan for coins "In God We Trust All Others Pay Cash"