Reinstall Windows after upgrading CPU?

I am considering upgrading my San Diego 3700+ to an Opteron 165, since I like my other Opty so much. Typically when I build a system, its from scratch, so do a fresh install of Windows anyhow. But in this case I just want to put in the new chip, and leave everything else the same. Will I have to reinstall Windows, or should it work ok with no modifications?

You're going from single to dual core, so i'd probably:

* uninstall the existing processor in Device Mgr, then ...

* shutdown, switch processors, load optimised (maybe after CMOS clear if problems) and then enter your settings...

* fire up windows and install the dual core driver (and hotfix etc)...

then reboot and i think you'll be good to go...

Right, all that said, i've got an opty 144 and an x2 4400 - whenever i'm changing between them i always rebuild windoze anyways... just a good chance for a clean start...

Thanks guys. I guess I'm still a noob at heart...I never knew uninstalling the processor through device manager was even an option. I am going to order the Opty from newegg today, and hopefully when I get it your steps will work so I can avoid reinstalling Windows. I know its nice to have a clean install, but I just did a few months back, and its just a hassle to have to reinstall all the drivers, programs, settings yet again.

When I was playing with an Opty 165 from my 4400+, I didn't even have to reset the BIOS. I just swapped them in and out and in and out. I never even got a new CPU installed message like I have before on other motherboards.

What I would do in addition to what ganders75 has said is run Memtest before booting into Windows. There's a chance a new processor won't want to play nice with your existing secondary timings.

@DaddyJaxx: the 165 and x2 4400 are both dual core processors - so the drivers are in fact the same... You wouldn't (well, shouldn't - it is microsoft after all... ) need to uninstall drivers, etc as you point out... Single to dual is a whole different animal...

Also, as Praz pointed out - MemTest is your friend. Particularly if you're upgrading from older chips to newer ones... There's always a chance that BIOS settings can be different as you have an onboard memory controller...