Sign in to follow this  
Skull_Fire

Opteron or Athlon 64 ?

i have never really considered using an opteron, but i see alot of people using them here. can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages & how well opterons compare in gaming?

I jumped from a 3700+ Sandiego t my current and the difference is amazing! I f you Play games like DAy of Defeat Source and Counter Strike the difference is Huge!

My X2 4400+ maxed out at 2750MHz- a 550MHz overclock. My Opty 165 runs Prime stable at 2835MHz (315x9)- a 1035MHz overclock, but I haven't tried to explore the upper limits of this CPU.

I don't know why there would be any difference in gaming- or anything else for that matter. To the best of my knowledge they have the same instruction sets. The difference is that the Opty's are binned differently because they are sold as server CPU's- therefore they are more robust.

EDit: One other thing. My X2 needed something like 1.55vcore to get that OC. My Opty runs at stock voltage- CPUZ shows 1.31v.

hi - i also max out at about 2.75 - with my x2 4200

i maybe able to get 2.8 - but have to really raise my volts up more and have a cold room - its not worth it for a extra 50mhz -

i read alot about the opty here and sounds good with the lower volts and higher OC - but i also see that the memory fsb has to be so much higher - so if you get 315x9 -- -- you have to OC your memory to fsb 315 right -

so if i would to build a opty system - i would need different memory that can go that high in order to get around 2.7 or 2.8 right ?

my memory is good at 250 - maybe 255 - but not much more - so if i kept this memory and used a opty - i would be lowering my top speed because the memory is not able to go higher - lets say i get 260 with the fsb - x9 only gives me about 2.3 speed --

so i dont get it how everyone gets such a high fsb with the opty -

to get a high OC --

if anyone can explain it - i am curious to know - in case i decide to use a opty one day in the future

hi - i also max out at about 2.75 - with my x2 4200

i maybe able to get 2.8 - but have to really raise my volts up more and have a cold room - its not worth it for a extra 50mhz -

i read alot about the opty here and sounds good with the lower volts and higher OC - but i also see that the memory fsb has to be so much higher - so if you get 315x9 -- -- you have to OC your memory to fsb 315 right -

so if i would to build a opty system - i would need different memory that can go that high in order to get around 2.7 or 2.8 right ?

my memory is good at 250 - maybe 255 - but not much more - so if i kept this memory and used a opty - i would be lowering my top speed because the memory is not able to go higher - lets say i get 260 with the fsb - x9 only gives me about 2.3 speed --

so i dont get it how everyone gets such a high fsb with the opty -

to get a high OC --

if anyone can explain it - i am curious to know - in case i decide to use a opty one day in the future

Use a divider for the memory. My memory will go up to 290MHz on Auto settings. So, if I have the HTT @ 315 I put the memory on the 180 divider and I'm good to go. I actually don't run my system at those speeds 24/7 even though they are stable. I think right now I'm at 280x9 with the memory running 1:1.

If you read the OC guide you will see that the dedicated OCer's here have put the myth about running asyncronously to rest. Or, in other words- running a divider won't hurt you. CPU MHz are king in the speed wars.

I think any opteron cpu is generally better than the equivalent A64 model. I've had a 754 3200(ok decent OC) 939 35000 winnie(crap OC) Sany 4k (dissapointing 2 much Juice ) Opty (148 36% OC) best 64 cpu ever. I think that the opteron memory controllers are generally better than their a64 equivalents. This was especially so when comparing my opty with the sandy 4k.

From what i've read x2s are the same.

But 4 me i think coinroe now beckons.:cool:

luck:)

Opterons are A64 CPU's. The difference as stated above, is they are binned differently because they are server grade CPU's. The best thing to do is think of them being a higher quality A64. Just remember that OC'ing is a "crap shoot", you are never guaranteed to get a good OC. It's just the binning of the Opty's that helps them OC as well as they do.

nice link from tasr. im real curiuos to see how the opty does on am2. i see some just became available on zipzoomfly. the price for an opty 1216 is about the same as an fx62 & its 2.4 tho.

But 4 me i think coinroe now beckons.:cool:

Amen brother. The more I read about C2D the more I think Intel has hit a major grand slam home run and they are going to get back some market share. Deservedly so.

Sign in to follow this