ATI X19xx GPU's Folding@Home!

davidhammock200

FXed,

I'm using APC Power Chute Personal Edition which is the software manager for APC's UPS. So if you have a decent UPS model there might be some software the comes with it to show your current draw.

If you don't have a UPS you can always go and get a "Kill-A-Watt" meter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FXed,

I'm using APC Power Chute Personal Edition which is the software manager for APC's UPS. So if you have a decent UPS model there might be some software the comes with it to show your current draw.

If you don't have a UPS you can always go and get a "Kill-A-Watt" meter.

Thanks. I don't have a UPS any longer and my PC P&C is a good PSU, just didn't come with software for monitoring anything. It's the "Kill-A-Watt" meter that most people I know use, I just don't have one of those either. Just thought if there was a software download I could use with what I do have, that would be great.

Getting to bed early, so I'll check in again tomorrow to see all the fun that members here are having with this new FAH GPU client. I'm hoping that the "Completed 20" I'm seeing in the FAH console doesn't mean it's only 20 out of 2,000 frames completed, since if it is, that would take over a week to complete a 222 point project. If it's only "Completed 20 out of 100", then the work will finish soon and we'll all get higher PPD. I'll keep y'all posted as to what I find out regarding this.

Have a good night and I'll check back in tomorrow.

I'm hoping that the "Completed 20" I'm seeing in the FAH console doesn't mean it's only 20 out of 2,000 frames completed, since if it is, that would take over a week to complete a 222 point project. If it's only "Completed 20 out of 100", then the work will finish soon and we'll all get higher PPD.

Looking at the logfile in the work folder it appears the value being displayed is percentage.

The website now says that CAT 6.10 does not work.

Looking at the logfile in the work folder it appears the value being displayed is percentage.

The website now says that CAT 6.10 does not work.

Just waking up here but I do see one WU completed last night. Here's portions of my FAH GPU log:

[23:01:19] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta

<>

[11:25:15] Completed 100

[11:26:15]

[11:26:15] Finished Work Unit:

<>

[11:26:17] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT

[11:26:20] CoreStatus = 64 (100)

[11:26:20] Sending work to server

<>

[11:26:20] + Attempting to send results

[11:26:23] + Results successfully sent

[11:26:23] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.

<>

[11:26:27] + Attempting to get work packet

[11:26:27] - Connecting to assignment server

[11:26:34] Couldn't send HTTP request to server (wininet)

<>

[11:50:59] - Error: Attempt #9 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

Looks like it ran fine almost all night, until it tried to reconnect.

@ Praz,

Are you serious? Catalyst 6.10 is now claimed not to worK? OK, guess I'll have to go check into that now, since I can't connect to the work server. Other than this issue, I ran a complete project without errors.

You're also right about the way this client reads, that "Completed xx" means a percentage and not the frame value. So "Completed 20" actually shows as 20% completed and at 7 minutes per % = 700 minutes for a 222 point project I ran (@ 11 hours). That's not too shabby!

EDIT: Just came back from Stanford Site, sure enough here's what it now says:

..."Catalyst driver version 6.5 [download from ATI or from a Stanford mirror ]. Version 6.10 currently does NOT work [download from ATI if you want it] and ATI is working to fix this. Versions 6.6 and 6.7 will work, but at a major performance hit; 6.8 and 6.9 will not work at all."

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

Arrrgh! Oh well, it's BETA.

BTW, if anyone is seeing...;

[14:56:40] + Attempting to get work packet

[14:56:40] - Connecting to assignment server

[14:56:41] Couldn't send HTTP request to server (wininet)

[14:56:41] + Could not connect to Assignment Server

[14:56:43] Couldn't send HTTP request to server (wininet)

[14:56:43] + Could not connect to Assignment Server 2

[14:56:43] + Couldn't get work instructions.

[14:56:43] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

...don't despair. It looks like the GPU Server is offline, rejecting requests ATM. At least I completed one project just before the server went down. Back to Folding on FAH 5.04 CPU client, for now.

Try these Links for the explaination:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

http://www.ati.com/buy/promotions/folding/index.html

It's also a great way to stress-test a computer, but not designed as such. If you have any issues with RAM, PSUs, just about anything, running FAH will most likely uncover them.

BTW, nice rig in your Sig!

:mad:

[07:57:35] Project: 2725 (Run 0, Clone 122, Gen 0)

[07:57:35]

[07:57:35] Assembly optimizations on if available.

[07:57:35] Entering M.D.

[07:57:45] Completed 0

[07:57:46] Starting GUI Server

[16:12:10] Completed 61

[16:20:01] Completed 62

[16:21:41] mdrun_gpu returned 114

[16:21:41]

[16:21:41] Folding@home Core Shutdown: EARLY_UNIT_END

[16:21:45] CoreStatus = 72 (114)

[16:21:45] Sending work to server

[16:21:45] - Error: Could not get length of results file work/wuresults_01.dat

[16:21:45] - Error: Could not read unit 01 file. Removing from queue.

[16:21:45] - Preparing to get new work unit...

I had the same thing happen Booster, while running a p2725. The one I finished to completion was a p2711, and the one I'm working on now is also a p2711.

[18:13:41] Project: 2711 (Run 0, Clone 170, Gen 0)

<>

[22:13:54] Completed 16

[22:21:52] Completed 17

Running just under 8 mpf, but I also have another FAH project running on my CPU.

Ya man, I've had this error since yesterday, I just reinstalled 6.10 cats to try it one more time then maybe downgrade to 6.5. It just sucks that I thought I fixed the EUE errors cause I was seeing it after an hour of it running but instead this happened after 8 hours.

I know what you mean, that it bites rocks after 8 hours of Folding just to end in an EUE. Been there more times than I can count, since I've been Folding for @ 6+ years now.

I'm also a BETA tester, on and off, for the regular CPU units and as such I have to accept errors and report every one. This new GPU FAH is also BETA, so it's bound to happen until they work the bugs out. Don't despair, you'll still get credit for the amount of work completed before it went EUE on you. So for the 8 hours it was Folding, you'll see credit for it. I hope that's some comfort. They'll get the bugs worked out, at Stanford, it's just going to take some time.

Hang in there bud', it's only going to get better with time.

:)

Just had another one error out, and is was the same type that worked previously.

[23:26:23] Completed 25

[23:34:16] Completed 26

[23:35:55] mdrun_gpu returned 114

[23:35:55]

[23:35:55] Folding@home Core Shutdown: EARLY_UNIT_END

Along with this:

[23:36:06] Error: Work unit read from disk is invalid

[23:36:06]

[23:36:06] Folding@home Core Shutdown: CORE_OUTDATED

[23:36:10] CoreStatus = 6E (110)

[23:36:10] + Core out of date. Auto updating...

[23:36:10] - Attempting to download new core...

[23:36:10] + Downloading new core: FahCore_10.exe

Core outdated??? WTF? I just downloaded it this morning! Unbelievable, but that's BETA for you!

:)

Looks like I'll have to contact Stanford tomorrow and report the errors. I'll let you all know if I get any answers, but most likely just going to happen until they debug the new GPU projects.