Built-in camera!

He guys, thanks to all the posts and help here, I have my computer up and running. And it's darn sexy too.

What I'm planning on doing right now is take a USB webcam, cut the USB metal port off of the cable and wire it to the onboard USB on the motherboard? Do you think this is possible.

If you take apart the usb wire, it has four little wires. wiring them up to the pins is cool right?

I will try to post some pics within the next 1 or 2 hours....

This will really pimp everything guys.

yo! here are the pics.

So as you can see here, I want my USB cam to be up at front,

0930061443vk6.th.jpg

and the USB wiring to be done inside the case. Right now, I just have the USB cable drawn from the front, which I plan to clip off the end shown here:

0930061444oz9.th.jpg

I will take the severed USB cable, which has 4 little wires in it and will connect to connectors like these:

0930061448xr7.th.jpg

which I pulled out from a really old PC and plan to plug them into the pins on the motherboard shown here in the pink section:

0930061449js6.th.jpg

I want to confirm with everyone that I can do this. Because I dont want to mess up my camera. And I plz need quick replies.

Well Yes, but the camera will be pretty worthless after that.

Since you got so much cable why don't you run it inside the case and then out thru a PCI slot and plug init into the back.

Seems kinda goofy to me, next you'll be mounting a monitor inside the case, :)

I think you are plugging into the mobo to keep the cable hidden.

May be just as east to get a female USB, run the leads off that into the mobo.

And then plug the camera into that.

The monitor is just an "inside" joke :)

Who would be insane in the membrane enough to put monitor in there PC case?

Carl, that's who!

Actually, I've often thought of the idea of using an LCD monitor mountd into the side of the case. It would be a great idea for a LAN rig...

Actually, I've often thought of the idea of using an LCD monitor mountd into the side of the case. It would be a great idea for a LAN rig...

Saw a pic of that once. They took a digi pic of the inside of the case for their wallpaper so it looked like it kinda wasn't there. Was a pretty cool idea, thought about trying it myself at some point as well.

As for the usb camera. I think Soundx nailed it with using another cable so the camera is still usable outside the pc if you ever want to do that. I can't see any reason it wouldn't work by hooking the wire up to the pins.

I think the camera is just a mod to see if he can do it. I honestly don't think there would be a decent use for it, as the web-camera usually needs to be by the monitor for normal conversations. Other than that I just see him holding up stuff in front of his pc to snap quick, low-quality pics with. :shrug: