BH-5 Memory Cooling Options

MjrTom

Hello All :)

Im looking for some active cooling for my BH-5 DRAM Modules currently running at 3.2v

I intend on putting at least another 0.3v through them but cant until I improve cooling.

Does anyone know of any products on the market for this or am I just better off building something myself?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

i use a 80 or 92 mm fan and some seal string from the prometeia to glue the fan to the heat spreaders of the ram

its a tape used for electrical insulation in outside installations.......from 3M

with some coolers i can just glue the stuff to the psu and the cpu cooler just above the ram

its a bit hard to explain

Yeah I understand wat you mean :)

Im having trouble finding fans that can fit under the Thermalright SI-120 CPU cooler due to its close proximity to the RAM.

Think if I can find some 10-15mm thick fans no bigger than 60-70mm in diameter is the max space available :P

DSCF1703.JPG

Larger

A Standard 80mm wont fit :(

The only thing I know of off-hand is the neon Crab by Evercool. Here's a link to a review of Evercool stuff:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=evercoolnewroundup1

It's decent, and the Crab may be small enough to fit in there.

The alternative is to build your own, of course. There's a guy here in the forum that just did something like that for his case mod. Here's a link for you:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...49&postcount=26

I was thinking of trying it with a couple of 50mm fans myself.

I've got my BH-5 nestled under my XP-120, plus another high speed 120mm case fan blowing cool air right on them from outside the case (~3" away) but the most i've run through them so far is 3.4v.

With my XP-120 there was literally no way for me to put a fan right on top of the modules but you look like you have a little more clearance.

If you've got a stock heatsink from any AMD heatsink if you take it off the heatsink i think it will fit under there, they are usually very low profile.

AMD heatsink fan on the left, standard 80mm fan on the right...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4871/1003587yu0.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8513/1003588jv5.jpg

That stock AMD fan is a 70mm x 15mm. The case fan is an 80mm x 25. That's what account for the difference in height. The 50mm's I plan on using are also another fan that is most commonly found in a 15mm height. You might even be able to find a special 10mm fan if you look hard enough.

Guest RohypnoL

To cool mine I'm using my stock AMD Heatsink Fan wrapped around a lead wire that runs right under my PSU. The fan just hangs there, but I wrapped it tight so it doesnt move much or at all when turned on, and I can easily move it out of the way if I need to switch out my CPU or RAM.

I have 2 60mm silenX fans epoxyed together blowing on my RAM. After removing the original 80mm off my 165 HS fan I noticed it's a Delta. wow apparently good quality and definitely blows way more air than the two 60's.

Thanks all

You have given me some good ideas :)

I have not got any Stock AMD coolers but what I do have is about 5 years worth of Intel ones lol :)

Here are a few examples:

Stock_cooler.JPG

Larger

From Right to left: Northwood, first gen prescott, second gen prescott.

rated at 0.16A, 0.21A and 0.44A respectively.

The brakets approx the same spacing as the DIMM slots :)

Going to try them for size and let you know

EDIT: Hmm too large :P

• 2 weeks later...
Are they too thick, or just too wide? If they are too wide you can just find a way to hold them on, like the rubber band mod.

They just look awful and dont really cool that well :P

I need a 15mm thick fan to fit under the SI-120 cooler. Thinking of going the water cooling route soon so that will free up enough spce in the memory/CPU area to fit a decent 80mmx25mm fan on the BH-5.

As for overclocking, ive not pushed any higher since insufficient cooling but now tightened the timings.

They now run at 1.5-2-2-5 @ DDR450 with 3.2v :D