Sign in to follow this  
mihkail

dual 80mm fan mod

I am probably going to be drilling holes in the top of my case this weekend. I want to get better airflow in it, my friend has a case very similar to mine, the only difference is mine has tube lights on the front and his has a fan in the top.

I noticed alot of people on here have drilled fan holes in the top of their cases, so i decided to do it. at first i was only going to drill one hole, but then i noticed i had room for two holes so i thought why not put two? i just have to go to the hardware store to buy a hole saw and some screws. i will post some pics of it when i have it installed. tell me what you guys think. heres a few pics of my case:

http://www.directron.com/cs31881tab3a.html

hpim0383ek0.jpg

hpim0387bd5.jpg

hpim0388rs2.jpg

sorry theyre so blurry, you can still tell how im going to put the fans though

two holes in the top of the case isn't really neccessary. you really want your air flow to come in the front and out the back. if you have alot of air coming out the top, it could come right back in the front. the only reason i have/use the hole in the top of the case is to exhaust any hot air that might be lingering up there. i have my 80mm fan running at it lowest possilbe speed (about 5-6V). i dont want it to interfere with the rest of my air flow through my case.

well i was thinking one day i could put a dual 80mm radiator there. i dont think theres enough room to put it on the rear fans because of the mobo. i prefer to mount it inside the case too so theres no chance of damaging it or the tubing

well, im done drilling the holes. it was actually pretty easy to do, at first i had a cheap ace hardware hole saw and for a pilot bit you are supposed to put a regular bit into it and tighten a screw. it doesnt work though, i couldnt ever get it aligned, so i took it back and got one from home depot where the pilot bit srews in differently and is only used for hole saws. it worked perfectly but the cordless drill didnt have enough power to spin it when it was drilling, so i had to use my dads 16 year old industrial drill. the only problem is i only have one fan so one hole is open right now but i put a grill over it so nothing will fall in it. I would have been alot easier if i had done this before i built my computer but that was a year a go so oh well. heres pics of my first case mod:

hpim0389bg0.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5864/hpim0390zv3.th.jpg

hpim0393ag1.jpg