Dual core driver?

Hi guys i just did a new windows install and have not loaded any drivers yet.I know i need the dual core driver.Do i install the normal nf4 drivers then install the dual core or just installed the dual core driver?When i did it befour i did not do a new install so not sure the way from a new install.

Prostock62

Hi guys i just did a new windows install and have not loaded any drivers yet.I know i need the dual core driver.Do i install the normal nf4 drivers then install the dual core or just installed the dual core driver?When i did it befour i did not do a new install so not sure the way from a new install.

Prostock62

I have it figured out.Both cores are showing up in the DM on the fresh install.Just need the hotfix and i think with that its not in writen that you need to apply this.

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

DL that helps with games. Awesome 165 BTW.

Thanks Wangerin,

Ive used it on my last windows setup.I was not sure if i needed to add the dual core driver after a fresh install.Befour i did not redo my windows when i added a dual core processor from single core,i just added the dual driver after uninstalling the single core driver, then the optimizer.When you do a new install it loads the correct driver,both cores showing in the DM.

The Windows patch isn't needed if you are running both the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and the AMD Dual Core Driver. I've checked and double checked when I upgraded to X2, and find absolutely no benefit to running the Windows hotfix when running a dual core AMD processor.

• 3 weeks later...

Question:

Is the Dual Core Optimizer compatible with Dual Core Opterons or is it only for dual core AMD X2's???

I ask this because I have the Opteron 175 on my signature and another system with a X2 Toledo, and the first one freezes on boot with the Optimizer while the other one doesn't. I am confused as to what I am missing.

I have the Dual Core Driver (AMD) installed before the Optimizer on both, and have tried both set of drivers (X2 and Opteron) on the 175 with out success. Any help on how to install it would be apreciated, I mean "a way to install it and not have freezing problems" :)

Also I don't really needed since I get huge amounts of FPS in every game, however I keep thinking I could get more.

Thanks.

Oh my, let me think.......

I think I did the driver then the optimizer, the driver I got from the Opteron link, I think, and the Optimizer I got from the AMD64 link. If I remember right I got the links from OC forums, I will go look for the thread and give ya the links.....

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...ities/Setup.exe Optimizer

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...amdcpusetup.exe Driver

I am almost positive thats what I used, 99.9999999% sure.....heh