Momma's Word of the Day (check first post every day!)

momma

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok had to start the first off with a big bang and a big useless word but it was one I heard in one of my content literacy classes that I thought was a good one. Today I got more technical and because I have always been curious about the origins of this word, it is our word of the day:

motherboard, n.-A printed circuit board on which the principal components of a microcomputer or other electronic device are mounted, and to which other boards (daughterboards) may be connected.

-Definition from OED

-PC/XT - the original open motherboard standard created by IBM for the first home computer, the IBM-PC. It created a large number of clone motherboards due to its open standard and therefore became the de facto standard.

-First used in 1965 in the publication Wireless World-"Contact tail variations..include..tails for direct mounting to a ‘mother’ printed circuit board."

There are motherboards all over my house!

Motherboards due not run on electricity...Nope in fact they run on smoke...Yes sir.. and a predeterminded amount at that...The electricity keeps the smoke in...

Yesterday I let the smoke out of my motherboard...Today it wont boot...;)

Hows that...?

dr., you need to find that post about smoke from ExRoadie I think...that would be a killer little funny post to link everyone to once in a while like I do the rumors thread lol.

motherboards...motherboards are the pariah of modern computer systems for enthusiasts. Motherboards are always first to blame. Motherboards have come a long way but that is based on the hardware being inserted into them. They tend to be the most complex item in your platform, especially Lanparty motherboards, who's complexity is necessary for it's designed task (overclock until your beard catches on fire).

As moma explained to you all her problem with this expert forum, i have the same problem. I dont have a technical education computerwise speaking but im a selftought person, ( there is prob. a word for that too moma).

On that note; yes i know some things about a motherboard, also know as a mobo for the leet peeps among us ;)

For me a motherboard is the backbone of a computer, its the glass you need if you want to poor yourself a drink, the plate for your food jada jada...

Without it you dont have a computer, with it you can have alot of troubles:)

I did not know there was another smokin thread...And the search begins...;)

Edit: I forgot to use motherboard in a sentence. .....oh there I just did...;)

there's a post by ExRoadie I think that explains how motherboards and parts are made with smoke, and when you break them, the smoke is let out etc...its %#@$#@ awesome post man you got to find it!

I think it is here in Off Topic somewhere

There is purely too much terrorism in this world....

Almost every gas station where I live is owned and operated by a guy with a towel on his head....

I think the next terrorist attack here is going to involve gas stations....be my guess...