Sign in to follow this  
coke29

AS5 or Ceramique?

As I just setup my water cooling this week, I'll share an AS5 horror story.

I purchased a 6800GT OC on Ebay to complete my SLI setup and it had the stock cooler replaced with an NV5 (which ran 10C cooler than my stock one.) When it came time to replace it with the waterblock I was blown away when I saw how much AS5 had been applied to the GPU! I used a toothpick to scrape off as much as possible, but it just pushed it all over the surrounding circuitry! :mad: So now I'm freaking out a bit.

It took me 45 minutes to wipe it all off with isopropyl, carefully using a toothpick to get it out of the crevices. Finally, I used a toothbrush with the isopropyl to gently clean the whole GPU area.

Needless to say I was worried the first time I started it up. Thankfully it worked just fine, but I was not pleased!

I had also purchased AS5 for my waterblocks (all of them) and I followed the "dot" method for application and it worked great!

... to moving your rig around a lot...
now that makes sense. after the AS has broken in (100-200 hours) it basically bonds the HSF to the CPU/chipset/etc. if you ever break that seal at all, the AS will need to be re-applied.