Sign in to follow this  
coke29

AS5 or Ceramique?

I was just wondering if anyone had any real hard evidence that ceramique is better to use than AS5... Ive read alot of posts and people seem to be favouring AS5 on cpu's and Ceramique on chipsets but is there REALLY anything wrong with using AS5 on chipsets? i know about the ceramique being non conductive and all but is it that big a danger?

I have both AS5 and Ceramique but i use AS5 on both the cpu and the chipset, is it worth the effort of switching? thanks guys

When you have a naked core it's allways better (safer) to use something non conductive and non capacitive like the Ceramique, AS5 is also NC but can have a capacitive effect. I've used both on my CPU with no difference at all but it depends on each particular setup. Both are excellent anyway.

AS5 ... needs reapplication every 6 to 12 months.
i have never heard that :confused: where did that come from? i can't find any mention of that on the AS5 website. on my previous system (a P4), i used AS5 on my CPU for years probably without reapplication (it was probably AS3, but still...)

i have never heard that :confused: where did that come from? i can't find any mention of that on the AS5 website. on my previous system (a P4), i used AS5 on my CPU for years probably without reapplication (it was probably AS3, but still...)
You will not find it anywhere on their site.

This is my personal experience & the experience of lots of us "Old Fart Ocerclockers". ;)

I've heard of it mostly in forums, In my experience I never needed to do that in any of the 67 rigs assembled so far with AS5. Never a change in temps but as I said: this is my experience.

Artic Silver 5 is the better compound! I just bought a tube of ceramique and replaced the artic silver 5 on the chipset to whats up with all the voodoo who do and it actually runs 1-2c hotter with the ceramique.

I run Artic Silver 5 on all of my Video Cards and have never had a problem.

yeah, i run AS5 on everything and have never had problems. just need to be careful when any "overspill" could possibly damage other components. i learned my lesson years ago when i applied AS to a P3-450 and to its exposed L2 cache. the AS leaked off the side of the cache onto the contact wires and killed the cache. the processor still worked fine, unless you did anything compute intensive (like playing Tribes), then it stuttered really badly. i have been really carefull ever since then :)

I've only used Ceramique because I bought the 22g a few years ago and its not even halfway empty yet. Pretty much I went for more for the money.

Both are good.

AS5 for CPU, use for air & water cooling, needs reapplication every 6 to 12 months.

ASC for anything, use for CPU at sub-0 temps, never needs reapplication.

wow, didnt know that.

dh200 ftw!

I personally use AS5 only for cpu's. And ASC for anything else. I'm slightly paranoid about bad things happening to my hardware. At least OCing it, I have control over voltages killing it, but I can't see what's going on under the heatsinks.

To what DavidH said. I don't find it necessary to reapply it that often. It seems to depend on a number of factors how often it really needs to be done. Seems to be a function of vibration on the heatsink either from it not being overly secure to moving your rig around a lot and power cycles. Also naked cores seem to have more problems than those with heatspreaders.

My always on, never moved computer is good for years. But when I used to move it (old SktA system) I had to reapply about every 6 months. So far with my Ultra-D I move it every week for a 2hr round trip or so and everything seems very stable so far.

The AS5 almost seems to dry out over time and turn from it's goopyness into a more school pasteish substance. I don't have enough experience with cpu's with heatspreaders to really say much about them. All my experience was with SktA, and around the edges of the core on the hsf it got all dried out like. Hope my rambling made sence to and perhaps helped at least one person ;)