The Goal & The Proposed Build?

Wrightman

;):P The Goal here is to build a screaming, overclockable, reasonably quiet, small, unobtrusive, gaming rig.

:mad: I realize an Intel Core 2 Duo rig would be faster. However, after years of ignorance and allowing myself to be totally screwed (financially, emotionally, & every other way imagineable) by the Intel machine I will not give them another penny of my cash ever. I'm 57 years old "Extreme Gamer" and being a "GEEZER" I'm entitled to some leeway here LOL!;)

:D I am requesting your input and opinion on the following components. I own my own computer repair business and have been building servers and workstations for many years. However, many of you folks are more experienced in the performance arena (especially with these new products) and I have come to rely on your input & suggestions in this area.:rolleyes:

1 - DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

1 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail

1 - OCZ Platinum EPP Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 900(PC2 7200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N9002GK - Retail

1 - LIAN LI PC-V600B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

1 - Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply - Retail

1 - ZALMAN CNPS 8000 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

2 - BFG Tech BFGR79256GTOCE Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

1 - MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 digital card reader with Floppy Drive - OEM

1 - LIAN LI MF-515B 5.25" to 3.5" Converter (Black) - Retail

1 - LG Combo Drive Black IDE Model GCC-4522BK - OEM

1 - SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBN - OEM

2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

:) Thank you all very much!

That loooks like a great build to me. :)

I'd change the Power supply from Tt (yuck!) to the OCZ GameXStream 700W (or even 600W), and the gpu from 7900GT to a 7900GTO (cheap GTX).

Check the SSDB and OCDB to make sure you have a good ram choice, then dive in. Best of luck Wrightman!

ThermalTake ToughPower series are not bad performers, speaking out of experience. ;)

OCing Orleans 3200+ @3 GHz + X1900 XT 256 mb @695-890, with 2 HDD SATA + 2 ODD, 8 12 cm mid to high RPM fans, and a DIY watercooling system, there's basically NO fluctuation whatsoever in the 3.3v & 12v rails, with a slight decrease in 5v rail from 5.05v to 5.04v @full load in gaming.

It got an independent voltage circuit, so no crossloading problem to deal with. Actually, the 750w version got a stamp of recommendation from jonnyguru, a pretty darn tough recognition to achieve for sure.

Jonny said, it actually has much less ripple @full load compared to FSP based OCZ gameXstream 700w PSU, and its only weakness is just an unclear spec of continuous 12v power capability -the number stated in the spec is its PEAK, not continuous ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Wrightman,

I just and by just I mean I'm setting it up right now bought a new system to build that is VERY similar to what you are talking about with a few minor changes.....

Mine has the sli-m2r/g 4200+ x2 dual core processor, raided 74 gig 10k raptors and a wd 500 gig storage hd, evga 7950 1gb vid card, OCZ powerstream 600w ps, and some cooling stuff, not important, but heres the thing, I ordered the 2gb OCZ Platinum ddr2 pc2 6400 ram, and when I put computer together, wouldn't post. Tried doing one chip at a time and still no go, now I don't know if OCZ sent me 2 bad chips, don't know the odds of that, but more than likely I would say DFI has a compatibility issue with the OCZ chips. I understand that their boards are quite picky on ram compatibility. Could be the chips, but I got some PNY ram and it works fine. Just wanted to let you know about my experience since you're talking pretty close to what I just did.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Chuck

Chuck,

This is the memory I got and it posted right out of the gate. DFI & OCZ have had a strong relationship for years. Check and make sure your voltage is high enough to get your board to post. This is a common problem these days. Hope that helps...

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory LAN PARTY Optimized Model OCZ2P800LP2GK - Retail