OCed and my sound stopped working - For those that're having this prob

CharmedLover84

Okay... this is a Q and A thing here cuz I had this problem today, and for all you people that are having it... solution found :)

Okay, so I was workin' on modifying my currently stable 2.9GHz settings to see if I could squeeze tighter timings outta my RAM.

Played Oblivion for around an hour before it started crashing continuously... so I was like "Screw it, I'll turn the ram back down" I had it at 3-3-3-7, I turned it back down to 3-4-3-8, rebooted... everything seemed fine.

EXCEPT

My sound was no non-existant. At maximum volume I could hear a heavily staticed, barely audible version of what I should be hearing.

I of course thought automatically "Maybe I jarred my sound card outta the slot a bit" checked, nope, firmly seated. I reseated it to be sure, and the booted back up... No sound. Tried a quick jumper-only CMOS reset... no sound.

I rechecked the wires, my sound card settings, everything, no joy... so at this point I'm ready to sock my machine, again, LOL

I shut it off, then I figure "hey it worked once, try it again"

I did an 8-minute CMOS reset, unplugged power, took the battery out, set to CMOS clear, left it for 8-10 minutes, came back, popped it back in, set it to normal, booted up, reset my settings to 2.9GHz etc etc on the ram, stock, and viola, sound.

So for all of you out there that think "Well that can't possibly work if a normal CMOS reset doesn't". Think again, it's worked TWICE for my problems that SOUNDED card related (Video first time, sound second time) IT DOES WORK!

Capacitors, any electrical semiconductor can hold a charge.

The time it takes for something to discharge varies.

With use of resistors (anything with a resistance, wire/PCB tracks) the discharge rate will be slower.

So you need to give the CMOS chip enough time to drain the charge that it is holding.

It does not have to go to 0v/0a for it to lose its memory, there is a threshold value.

Its just about giving it enough time.

Yeah, I'm just trying to always post the SOLUTION to my problem so when people have the problem, bam, simple solution, y'know?

And as for the CMOS clear, yeah, that is exactly it, just clearin' it real quick ain't gonna work if it's a straight need for the CMOS to totally forget everything and reset.

I'm just tryin' to show everyone that it DOES work, y'know? I want people to get their resolution and KNOW it WILL work for them if they're having the same issue.