Sign in to follow this  
Bobo Balinski

AMD or Intel??? Which one should I get this time??

My friend asked for some help in buying a mid-range gaming PC. When I was active on the matter 9 months ago AMD was the clear choice. Now Intel has their new product line out.

These folks want a gaming PC that isn't really a gaming PC. They just want to run SIMS games. I know, I know.

Someone suggested a $2800 Intel E6400 with dual GeFource 7900 GT. So I am trying to come up with a strong running, good value option.

I am thinking a dual core AMD and a single video card system.

What wisdom can you spare me???

BBB

i would say amd athlon 3800+ x2,

7600gt

asus mobo, cheapper than dfi

2x512mb ram

160gb hd for dirt cheap

antec sonata 2, 450watt psu included

I am looking for 2 price point options: around $1500 and $2000.

Darkorb, you are on target with what I was thinking.

How do the Intel's and AMD's compare in this lower price range? Which is the best value?

Darkorb, you are on target with what I was thinking.

How do the Intel's and AMD's compare in this lower price range? Which is the best value?

ah dude then you definitely want some Core2Duo E6600, 975 motherboard, 2GB of DDR2-800Mhz, and a couple of X1900XT Crossfire cards (if you have a monitor that does 1600x1200 resolution or higher...if not, you don't need but a single X1900XT or 7900GT or GTX, but the X1900XT's are best bang for buck in high-end)

couple 80GB SATA II hdd's in RAID-0 and a nice big 250GB backup drive, dvd-rw, fatty OCZ GamerXstream 700w psu....

seriously.

if you got $1500-$2k to spend, you want a Core2Duo setup like that...

By sims games do you mean like the sims n stuff? Cause if that's what you mean, spending that much on a computer will give massive overkill. I'd go for the $1000-$1500 range just so they have a nice computer if they want to do something like editing some home movies or something.

For cheapness, you can't beat AMD. Sure a 3800+x2 is slower than a C2D but it's also cheaper. I'd suggest going AM2 just so they can upgrade in the future if they want to and cause the procs and ram are a lil bit cheaper.

What DarkOrb suggests should be more than enough if I'm understanding what your building the computer to do correctly. I'd also suggest not getting a dfi for other people. I usually go Gigabyte when doing computers for other people as they've always been rock solid for me and never had a problem once the other people got em.

Happy_Games is right you should DEFINITELY go with the low-end Intel Conroe CPU: Core2Duo E6600 as this is right now the best bang for the buck, without question. And of course you will need a compatible 975 motherboard, and 2GB of DDR2-800Mhz.

BUT since you said you want single video card, and you said you can spend up to $2K, then IMHO, you should go with the eVGA Geforce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card for $495, since it is really 2 7900GT video cards in one slot, and puts up really good benchmarks (See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16814130023).

Also if you want only 1 hard drive go with Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive for $400 (See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148134) .

Bottom line: If you are going to spend $2K on just PC components (we all seem to be assuming you have monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.), then do not mess around with mediocre crap and buy some good stuff, you will not regret it, since your computer will be good to go for the next 2-3 years. Also, what are you saving your money for? Retirement? Spend the whole $2K now on the computer, you'll be glad you did.

Sign in to follow this