Sign in to follow this  
jeremywills

rs482 bootup screen dissappeared on me

title says all

when i boot up my rs482 now it stays blank throughout the entire bootup process until the login screen for windows xp pops up :( i dont know what happened, i was installing some updates and it required me to reboot to complete the installs and thats when it went south

very strange, any ideas what happened? should i try doing a clear cmos and see if it comes back, i would sort of like to see the bootup process and be able to get into the bios if needbe

You should be able to get into bios by just holding DEL at boot up, even without the LOGO.

Are you saying that even doing that, it wont go into bios? If so then I would do a clearComs and see what that does, its really nothing that will hurt your board and the only way to even try.

If you can get into bios by holding DEL, then in bios there is an option to enable the LOGO at start up and that may be what you need to do.

Not sure if this will help but give it a try, Good luck

Guest scott2
title says all

when i boot up my rs482 now it stays blank throughout the entire bootup process until the login screen for windows xp pops up :(

I have mine connected to an LCD TV which did the same thing. At least until I flashed to the 711 bios, which fixed the problem. Prior to that if I wanted to get into the bios I temporarily used a regular monitor.

hmm problem is i have flashed to the 7/11 and yes this is with using an lcd TV grrrrrrrrrrrr

my fear is that if i do clear cmos and i still get no video upon boot up how am i to go about resetting up the bios again? grrrrrrr this boards been perfect

i guess i had better contact DFI for a possible RMA if it dont work and have that RMA for just in case

so your saying if i drag a regular crt montior over here or take it to a crt somewhere it might get it back?

if its going to always do this with an lcd tv monitor then perhaps i need to find another htpc board, grrrrrrrr too bad i really otherwise like this board but i dont like the idea of losing the video upon boot up for the bios etc.........

sort of need that for tweaking etc...

Guest scott2

The TV always displayed a "signal out of range" error message until the windows welcome screen. I just assumed the problem was the TV wouldn't display a signal that wasn't in its native resolution. It just so happens after flashing to 7/11 it is no longer an issue.

I never gave it much thought because I can connect a regular LCD monitor and see the whole boot up sequence just fine, as well as access the BIOS. Since it wasn't an issue for you till now I'd try the cmos clear, and use the crt if you still don't get anything. Since it works fine after windows is fully loaded, is it really much of a problem? I used mine that way for at least three months.

it is while your trying to overclock your htpc hooked up to the lcd montior and you have no crt readily available, i can get a hold of one but its just a hassle, ill figure something out, its just frustrating it was working fine and then just went away one day

Guest scott2

I don't know what to suggest other than try the cmos clear if you haven't already. I had the display problem right from the first day. Occasionally the POST screen would show on a reboot, but most of the time I didn't get any picture with my tv until windows was loaded. It's possible it wasn't flashing to 7/11 that fixed the problem because I also cleared the cmos at the same time. However, since then I've been able to see the POST screen and bios using the tv.

I've seen this board display some other weird behavior.

I tryed with an LCD TV last night and its acting the same for me too, once I go back to my monitor, its fine again. I googled a few times and found a small post on sapphire forum and its saying that this is normal because, well for them the GPU drivers and CAT control doesnt tell the GPU to go to the TV till it loads with windows. I dont Know, but it kinda seems right. If you think about it, do the GPU drivers load with windows? You may find the same thing with other boards too. Does this happen with your nF4 board?

A clear COMS doesnt hurt, thats what its there for, to reset the mobo after a bad bios setting, so I dont understand why you dont want to do that. If you clear COMS you just input your settings again and it should be fine. Write down the settings, or save them with COMS reloaded in bios pror to clearing them. I clear COMS all the time when overclocking(everyone does) and I just go in and set the bos up the way the were prior to clearing them.

Dont know if any of this will help but I thought I would pass it along. Hate to see you change mobos because of a problem like this. Write to DFI, see if the onbard video loads its drivers with windows or prior? If thats the case, then I bet thats why the TV out wont display till windows loads. Thats all I got, if thats anything at all.

borrowed an old CRT, drug it up these 3 flights of stairs, my lord you forget how heavy them sons of you know whats are.......

anyhow, it enabled me to get the posting screens back, so I went ahead and wrote everything down in my bios so I wouldn't forget it and have to remember again, went ahead and installed my new radeon x1600 HDMI card that came in today, and now instead of using the onboard GPU its so far been working fine with displaying post and the winders splash screenie etc... on my lcd tv, took the CRT back so knock on wood it solved the issue by going to dedicated video instead of the onboard, forgot to ask if you folks were using the onboard video or not and having these same issues, it might just be the onboard gpu that does this, I dunno but the onboard got me by till I could get this new card, I wanted that HDMI card so I could hook it all up correctly, nowthis widescreen lcd tv is in all its glory, just that silly sound drop off issue still, I might just try a dedicated sound card later on but for now ill just deal with the occasional sound drop offs, now that the dedicated video card is in there and the system ram is not being shared by onboard video its appearing to be less frequent, so maybe its just a resource thing, if that is the case I might try 2 gig instead of 1 gig of system memory next, that might just be it as the onboard video shared the main and I might have just been experiencing the sound studders from insufficient memory :D

but for now adding in the dedicated video card appears to have resolved my bootup post screen issue