Jump to content

Change the cpu or NOT?


ooztuncer
 Share

  

20 members have voted

  1. 1.

    • Sell it!
      14
    • Keep it!
      6


Recommended Posts

I cant believe I am doing this but whatever.

 

Couple of days ago I got a X2 3800 socket 939 (used) and its sweet spot seems to be around 2.5ghz with 1.48 vcore - 10hrs orthos stable but needs 1.6+ volts for 2.6ghz - not as I expected.

 

I believe I can sell it for around $140ish. Should I do it and look into another cpu at this price range? OR should I keep it and forget about all the hassle...

 

please post if you have any specific advice.

 

thanks kindly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sell it - and buy this:

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103527

 

The easiest way to get 3.0GHZ, and you don't have to sacrifice memory bandwidth with a divider - courtesy of the unlocked multi. I usually run mine at 15x200 with 1.48vts. As single cores are going out of style, the price on this chip is unbelievable. Definitely worth the extra $100 IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The easiest way to get 3.0GHZ, and you don't have to sacrifice memory bandwidth with a divider

 

Um....it's not dual core though.

 

Plus you aren't sacrificing anything using a divider, there's a big thread on it somewhere around here.

 

 

And I say try again if you can, no reason not to really. :)

 

Though you could check out that thread that has the 165 for $150...not sure what thats all about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking for a certain clock speed, sell it and buy a known stepping 165 or other X2 CPU that will give you the speed you are after.

 

For you to see a real increase in performance from your current 2.5 you will need a CPU that does at least 2.8 and even then the performance increase won't be that much..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um....it's not dual core though.

 

Plus you aren't sacrificing anything using a divider, there's a big thread on it somewhere around here.

 

 

And I say try again if you can, no reason not to really. :)

 

Though you could check out that thread that has the 165 for $150...not sure what thats all about.

 

Wasn't sure if he was looking to stick with dual core, though I could have been safe to assume that :) I just think that price on the 55 is great. It's dropped about a $100 bucks in the past 2 weeks. As far as the divider part of my post, I just like being able to run my RAM 1:1. For what it's worth, I score higher on 3dmark benches running 1:1, with everything else being equal. Granted, it's just a benching program, but:rolleyes: for me, it counts for a little something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't sure if he was looking to stick with dual core, though I could have been safe to assume that :) I just think that price on the 55 is great. It's dropped about a $100 bucks in the past 2 weeks. As far as the divider part of my post, I just like being able to run my RAM 1:1. For what it's worth, I score higher on 3dmark benches running 1:1, with everything else being equal. Granted, it's just a benching program, but:rolleyes: for me, it counts for a little something

 

Certainly can't argue for the price really, but once you go dual core you just don't go back. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the decision is yours as to keep it or not...if you want to wait, go for it...but realize that there's also the possibility you'll get a chip that's weaker than your current one.

 

as for the memory always being at 1:1, i know that you won't be getting optimal performance...faster memory = more memory bandwidth. as long as you're not sacrificing memory timings or command rate you'll end up faster. (looser timings and command rate can be compensated for by clocking significantly higher but it's more trouble)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly can't argue for the price really, but once you go dual core you just don't go back. :)

 

Yeah, I haven't jumped over to the dual-core camp just yet. I use one machine for games, and the other for everything else (it's a socket 754 laptop), so I'm not really in a position of need (or in the notebook's case - being able to) at the moment. I have another machine with a 146 that runs at 10x300 (with a big divider - LOL), so if I was going to do it, it would be with that one - though it's tough to let a sweet little chip like that 146 go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...