3/8" & 1/2" ID Pros and Cons?

WintersFury

Ok, been starting to put together my shopping list for watercooling the new rig. And the only thing that's giving me any trouble is deciding on 3/8" or 1/2" ID tubing.

I know 1/2" is supposed to give more flow, but I'd think it would be about equal due to the 3/8" having more pressure from a smaller tube? I have no idea for sure though. But the main reason I keep looking at the 3/8" is that it's smaller and therefore easier to route in the case.

I'm sure it also depends on the pump I get. Cause I know one of them has 3/8" ID fittings (their part of the pump) so it'd be pointless to go 1/2" with that, right?

So is there anyone who can give me some pros and cons for each size of tubing?

I prefer 7/16". Close to the same flow as 1/2", closely matches the ID of the fittings and about as easy to route as 3/8".

I've never seen 7/16" ID tubing... Though I can't see 1/16" making the tubing that much different from 1/2"... Then again, now that I think about it... 1/2" tubing is only 1/8" larger than 3/8"...

*grumble* Now I'll have to go to the hardware store so I can figure out if there really is much of a difference between 3/8" and 1/2" ID tubing...

7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing

Its smaller than 1/2 but offers similar performance.

Its only .59 per ft

Im using it and loving it on my setup, but it needs to be heated to get over the Danger Den D5 pumps fittings or anything with a lip.

1/2 offers best performance and flow, but is rather large and needs more space to bend.

3/8 is better for tight spaces and smaller loops.

Ive seen comparisions where the size did not effect temperture and ive seen some that show 1/2 alot cooler.. sooo go figure, I think its more a matter of preference.

7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing

Its smaller than 1/2 but offers similar performance.

Its only .59 per ft

Im using it and loving it on my setup, but it needs to be heated to get over the Danger Den D5 pumps fittings or anything with a lip.

1/2 offers best performance and flow, but is rather large and needs more space to bend.

3/8 is better for tight spaces and smaller loops.

Ive seen comparisions where the size did not effect temperture and ive seen some that show 1/2 alot cooler.. sooo go figure, I think its more a matter of preference.

Thanks Wangerin. I was planing on using the heat method of getting the tubes on so I didn't have to worry as much about leakage as it is. I guess it'll depend on the case I put the system in which size I get then.

TT Armor, I got plenty of space. If I get an Antec Nine Hundred I think they may be a bit smaller and I'll use some smaller tubes.

It also depends on how many blocks you have and how they are set up. With more than one block the 3/8 tubing looks very good. I have seen very good temps from 1/4th inch tubing beleve it or not. Stacker case and one block 7/16 would be great. With normal volts on my old video card 1.45

V OC'd on the CPU I was getting temps at internal case temps on both with 10MM tubing.

I just setup my watercooling a few weeks ago, in a TT Armor case. I decided to use 7/16" ID Tubing because I mounted the Rad outside of the case with a Radbox. To use the existing holes in the case for tubes which are 5/8" I had to have Tubing that was the same... I wanted to use 1/2" but couldn't so the 7/16" was perfect.

Here is my build log for installing the watercooling in the Armor case.

It also depends on how many blocks you have and how they are set up. With more than one block the 3/8 tubing looks very good. I have seen very good temps from 1/4th inch tubing beleve it or not. Stacker case and one block 7/16 would be great. With normal volts on my old video card 1.45

V OC'd on the CPU I was getting temps at internal case temps on both with 10MM tubing.

I'll have at least 3 blocks, cpu, chipset and grfx. If I get a 2nd card I'll have 4. No point in WCing the hard drives. Not going to go 1/4" just cause I want DD blocks and they don't make 1/4" ones.

It will also depend on the type of block you decide to use. A flow inpingement style block relies more on head pressure of the pump than the size of the tubing..

Going to be going with DangerDen. The rbx cpu block with the dual outputs, as it looks like it should have better cooling than the single output port ones just due to the water going through the entire block.

Depending on the case a 240 or 360 rad. Depending on everything else will be the pump. I'd like a DD-D5 but may end up with a DDC-12V depending on how much room I'm working with.