Memtest and Windows crashing - OCZ memory kaput?

Anakin_hollan

Hello all,

I've been building my system into a new case and after that I couldn't get it to work anymore...

Windows locked during loading, during login or during work. Sometimes I crashed during browsing with FF and lost all the favourites... No worry though, no essential data had been lost!

Since I change from dual to single core, and back to dual core again, I tried reinstalling Windows. Tried 2 different discs, both crashed during installing, or finishing up... Tried 3 BIOS-es: E704-2BT, Stock 12/07/2005 and Stock 04/06/2006. This didn't make any difference.

I ran some memtests to see if I could pinpoint the cause.

This, and the reinstalling, was all done on the system in my sig, except for the CPU being the Opty 165.

Well, memtest did indeed pinpoint some...

Running the 4800+ OC-ed in my old case:

pict0006resizelx0.th.jpg

pict0008resizelw5.th.jpg

Worked like a charm!

Running the 165 stock, crashed within 5 minutes, using 1 stick at a time:

pict0592resizexi4.th.jpg

It hung completely, didn't react to any key-press anymore. Tried rerunning, but that didn't help.

Setting all to Auto didn't differ either:

pict0593resizerl3.th.jpg

pict0594resizeoj8.th.jpg

The + in the title still blinked, but WallTime had stopped.

Luckily I still had a valueram-kit lying around. Tested that, and works a treat!!

pict0598resizeba6.th.jpg

Does anyone have any idea if this is a situation that can be fixed, or have they kicked the bucket?

Greetz!

Anakin

Sounds like they are almost dead. Quick question though, did you checks the caps on your mobo? I had a similar problem with the memory working oc'd but not stock and it kept crashing, etc, only to find that when I checked the caps on my board they were all distented near the memory voltage regulation and one by the processor regulation. Just give the mobo a quick glance over and double check all the parts. If you don't find anything my guess would be the same as yours (though if you could try the ram in another system you have or a friends system just to double check). Bum luck bud.

Sounds like they are almost dead. Quick question though, did you checks the caps on your mobo? I had a similar problem with the memory working oc'd but not stock and it kept crashing, etc, only to find that when I checked the caps on my board they were all distented near the memory voltage regulation and one by the processor regulation. Just give the mobo a quick glance over and double check all the parts. If you don't find anything my guess would be the same as yours (though if you could try the ram in another system you have or a friends system just to double check). Bum luck bud.

Yeah, I'm gonna. Won't have time till next week though. For testing on a different mobo that is...

The capacitators all look fine BTW.

Here's an update:

I really don't get anymore!!

See ya!

j/k

But I really don't get it anymore...

Cleared my schedule for today, and started testing.

Opty 165 on DFI Expert:

Had put my Opty 165 at stock, and ran the OCZ memory at 200Mhz as well, using stock-timings 3-4-3-8 1T. Windows crashed at boot. After a few tries I got to the login-screen, but it crashed right after I pressed Enter. Running memtest crashed...

pict0591yo9.th.jpg

I then reseted BIOS to Optimized Default, put my Opty 165 at 2.9Ghz, and ran the Buffalo ValueRam memory (for my server) at a 3:5-divider, so 193Mhz, at stock timings (2.5-3-3-8, 2T). Windows boots fine. In Windows Orthos crappes out in less than 5 seconds. BF2 collapsed after a few minutes... Memtest however, kept on running. 3 full passes before I stopped it. This is by no means a acknowledgement that Orthos should work, I know!

pict0594yl6.th.jpg

Right, so I got my "spare" mobo out of the box (also still needs to put in my server), and hooked it up to a PSU, keyboard and a monitor. It's a GA-K8N51GMF-9-RH, slappen on an Opty 148 (again for use in the server), and the OCZ-memory. Running memtest steadily along on stock. No problem at all. No OS installed to test with though, just a bare mobo/CPU/memory + FDD for memtest. Did 2 full passes before I stopped it.

pict0595us3.th.jpg

(Did you notice a difference between the memtests? I did. "BIOS-memtest" on DFI detects 2047MB with OCZ, "FDD-memtest" on gigabyte only 1920MB !?? But it's the same version...)

Given the fact that it ran nicely on that (single core) Opty, I swapped it again to the DFI + Opty 165, and ran memtest. And waddayaknow... It made at least a couple of full runs before I killed it myself, to test windows!! :D So I tested Windows... Crashed... Started memtest... Crashed... :(

I than again swapped the OCZ for the Buffalo and memtest ran just fine....

So, pondering on the above situation, I decided to get my old CPU out again (which is/was being sold because I got the Opty) put it in the DFI with the buffalo memory, and put the Opty 165 on the Gigabyte along with the OCZ. And that just keeps on running... :eek:

Here's a summary:

• DFI + Opty 165 + OCZ: Bad
  • DFI + Opty 165 + Buffalo: Semi-Bad
  • Gigabyte + Opty148 + Buffalo: Semi-Good (No windows to test)
  • Gigabyte + Opty148 + OCZ: Semi-Good (No windows to test)

• Gigabyte + Opty165 + OCZ: Semi-Good (No windows to test) - Memtest running for 1 hour 45 minutes now, 39 succesfull passes at test #5...

pict0600oe7.th.jpg
  • DFI + X2 4800 + Buffalo: Orthos running for 2 hours while also working on it...

dfix24800at217x12buffalofq7.th.jpg

I ordered a 2x512MB Mushkin Level One PC3700 (Samsung TCCD) kit, to have some more testing-comparisons, and have a spare-kit laying around after my server is upgraded...

If you can make something out of this, and find the constant in all of this, please let me know!? lots_notworthy.gif

Greetz!

P.S. I'm really lucky I haven't upgraded my server yet... LoL

Well, since I knew it worked with the 4800+ before building the system into the new case, I tried reinstalling the OCZ. To my own suprise, locking at DMI verifying, locking at Windows Loader, errors about ntoskrnl.exe being corrupt and needing repair/reinstall, and also crashing in memtest... :eek:

I reinstalled the Buffalo again, booted first time...

Seems like this memory is really crapping out on me, and that I have to get in touch with OCZ... :(