Can a X2 4200 OC stable over 2.7 ?

expresso

LDT/FSB Freq. Ratio - Multiplier for HTT bus speed. You can leave this on Auto if you wish. DFI boards are very good at selecting the correct multiplier. If you wish to input a value manually use one that keeps the HTT close to 2000.

CPU/FSB Freq. Ratio - Multiplier for the processor speed. Your stock setting is 11.

Write Cas Latency - TWCL - This is the write latency of the ram. You can either leave it set to Auto or change it to 1. No other value will work.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mungo: Got too excited when I built the rig and forgot to record my stepping. LOL It doesn't really matter. This chip isn't a great oc'er, but its not bad either. I got to 2.65 with my crappy HSF and if I get to 2.7 w a better one (one of these days) I'l be happy. Been having too much fun gaming and just using my comp lately to keep testing.:D I'll get back to monkeyin' around with it soon though--I'm getting the itch if you know what I mean.

expresso: Your LDT is fine at AUTO. Anakin and Praz already answered your questions above. Good luck, dude. Follow the Guide and you'll be OK!

thanks - i may just leave it as is before i blow something up

then i be out of luck - :)

i leave it on auto - when i downsize my bios pictures and figure out how to post them here - i will and see if anyone can tell me more about my settings and if theres anything else i can do to speed it up -

but the temps will hold me back either way i think -

thanks

I too am stable at 2750.

Thought I was fine running 260:11 2860 until I ran 2x Prime 95 - crashed out after 6.5 hours and I haven't been able to get it stable despite spending a couple of days trying. Same at 255:11 - crashes 2xPrime a short time after running the CPU stress tests.

I was fine at 2860 with 3DMark 06 and 01 and 03 - got my best ever score at over 10000 with 3D06 - far better than I'd managed with my 4800+. No errors on memtest either after 12 hours straight, same with SuperPi and ScienceMark2.

My personal best 3D06 was at 262:11 - 2882MHz

To reach 2860 I was running at 1.525 + 1.01% and 2.88vdimm.

I tried increasing the vcore to 1.57 but same crashes on 2xPrime.

At 2750 my cpu temps don't seem to rise above 43C and it was similar at 2860. The Zalman 9500 seems to have made a big difference to the temps - far better than either the Zalman 7700 which I used previously and which was not much better than the stock cooler.

Incidentally, I've found the 4200+ infinitely easier to overclock successfully than the 4800 on which I spent literally hundreds of hours to acheive the same clock speed as I did on the 4200 in less than 2 !

I got the 4200 to boot fine into Windows at 265:11 - 2915Mhz and to boot sufficiently to run memtest successfully at 275:11 - 3025Mhz (1.525v + 1.02%)

Let us know if you do any better than 2750 and "Good Luck!"

hi - i noticed your have different memory than i do - thats great if you got it running stable at 2.8 and more - your temps are much better than mines at those speeds -- do you have a full tower case ? 120mm fans etc -- also how hot is your room where the computer is

doing normal stuff my temps are below the 50c with 2.750 - but under load - they can reach a bit over - about 55c for the cpu - hovers around there more or less - depends on my room - if i had to run a stress test - i would have to keep my A/C for that - my room is pretty warm -

i dont think my memory can go much over the rated 250 speed

maybe 255 - but isnt worth it if i have to raise the volts on cpu etc.

if you have any good suggestions for me - look at my sig - and the memory i have -

thanks

expresso: Did you check the thread that I mentioned above for some idea of what others are getting with mem similar to yours? It really is pretty good ram and I would be surprised if you can't get to at least 255, but as always YMMV.

I believe my ram chips are same as yours. They are rock solid at 255 at the settings below. Give them a shot!

OCZ UCCC Ram in Sig: 3d/01/03/05/06, SP 32M, OCCT, Dual Prime 10+, game stable. NOTE: These chips don't like the volts. Don't give them any more than they need to get stable.

Ultra-D 6/23/05 (623-1)

FSB - 255

LDT - Auto

CPU/FSB Ratio - x10

Vcore - 1.456 (1.400 x 104%)

LDTv - 1.20

CHPv - 1.5

vDIMM - 2.7

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 04 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 03 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 14 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - 01

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto (Disabled)

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto (Normal)

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Auto (Level1= 50% reduction)

Max Async Latency - Auto (8.0ns)

DRAM Response Time - Fast

Read Preamble Time - Auto (6.0ns)

IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

hi - thanks -- no i didnt check the thrend - i missed where you put it i guess - i dont see where you sent me a trend - but your memory is the same as mines - i see your setup on the settings is almost the same as mines - i have to double check mines to yours now - i think i can get 255 --x 10 - i dont remember if that passed super pi or not - let me ask you - the volts - when i set them in the bios - lets say the ram to 2.7 - on smart quardian - it shows higher - like 2.8 - my volts are a bit off with smart compared to what i put in the bios - i would think the bios is correct ? -- i have to double check what i have it at - i did have to push it to 2.8 to get it stable for 250x11 == i wanted to try 255 x11 and 260x11 -- but failed tests and temps were high so i stopped it there -

i read a review where they got 280 with this memory but i dont think its correct - i dont see this memory going that high -- but i would have though 260 was achievable -- -- what is the highest you were able to get the memory and stable with all tests ?

thanks

Hi expresso,

You are correct--go with the bios volts. Smartguardian is software, and software can be unreliable.

Correct again on the memory. It is good stuff, but most get somewhere between 260-270 @ 1T. But keep in mind there is no shame to use dividers. Mine will do 3-4-3-8 to 265 and 3-4-4-8 to 269 (@ 1T) but not one MHz more. Some wizards (and lucky ones) get above 270. Keep in mind that some times the mem provided by manufacturers for review is hand picked to be the best--not all do that, but it happens. I'd guess 280 is posssible for these sticks, but I'd say its extremely rare.

Here you go, 24 pages of UCCC oc goodness:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41953

Happy OC'ing!

hi - thanks - your right - sounds good -- how excatly do you use dividers - i left it at 1:1 1t - figure its the fastest -- i never used dividers - what is involved - and what do i change in the bios to do that - i think i know but want to make sure before i change anything - also what else do i change besides the dividers - ? or can i just change the dividers - and push it up a notch ?

thanks

i check back later - i have to get goin this morning :)

Hi expresso

The Shark has two 120mm fans - one front and the other rear of the case although, to be honest, I tend to leave the side off the case whilst I'm working on it. The room temperature here is fairly constant at 20-21C.

I found a couple of links which may interest you if you haven't already seen them :

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about6251-40.html

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/373/3/

My system tested 100% 2xPrime stable for 12 hours at 2750 250:11 - now I'm trying for 255:11 - 253:11 seems to be OK so fingers crossed that we'll get to see 255 stable.

Incidentally, I tried to run at 280:10 but couldn't even get it to boot at 1.525 +1.02% vcore whereas 275:11 will boot at that voltage.

I've nothing but praise for these 512MB sticks from OCZ - they are the original Rev.1 and I have to run them in the Yellow slots as I get errors in the Orange ones - but they will run 265mhz at 2.5-4-4-7 and give great scores on SiSandra although I do have to push the volts to 2.99.

cu

thanks for that link - i check it out - but your memory is 512 each stick - its not the same as mines - yours may clock much better than the one gig sticks - --

i look over some settings and maybe try to OC again and try to push the memory up a bit to 255 and 260 - x10 --

thanks -