Can a X2 4200 OC stable over 2.7 ?

expresso

hi - i got my sig running and stable up to 2.75 with the specs in my Sig -

i am running on air - i am wondering if anyone who has a similar setup got there system OC past 2.8 and higher - ? keep in mind the memory i have also -- i am happy with the OC but i didnt make many changes to get here - now i got the itch to try to get it higher and stable -

if someone got a higher OC on air with the same X2 4200 and my memory - can you share your settings with me so i can compare the difference between what i have and yours - but just make sure your settings are stable for you - i know they may not be stable for me - every system is different - i learned that the as i tested my system -

i will take screen shots of my timings and have to downsize them and post them here - i dont know how to post them here - and first have to downsize them some how - ?? -

any help would be great -- i just read the sticky for the 3Gz club - and got me started again to play around - i think i can do more with the settings - most of them i dont know what they do actually so i left them stock and just changed as little as possiable to get it to my OC

the only thing - i ran sp2004 instead of prime95 -- so i cant enter in the OC database - prime is just so boring to watch - :)

any input -

thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi - thanks -- you think so ? - i feel its good too - i am new to OC

this was my first system build - i been around computer for over 15 years working in IT dept. but i really never got into it like now with OC and DFI boards etc. - i got the itch when i wanted to upgrade from my last system which was a barton 2500+ and i liked that one - now its so slow compared to this one - :) i read some people getting 3ghz with 3800 x2 -- so thats great - i know i didnt take advantage of all the tweaks on the settings since i didnt know what they did and what will happen - i had a few times that i couldnt boot and had to reset cmos -

so i decided to stick with the 2.75 as my max stable OC -- but now i am wondering if the settings i never touched - could help get me higher -

my only concern really is the heat - i am using air - i have to keep my A/C on full when i test it - my room is pretty warm if not hot -- open window is not enough - i read alot about dividers - etc. with the ram

but i though if i am running the ram at 1T at the rated speed of 250 and CPU x11 which is the highest i can go - then this is the highest i can go - would i be able to go higher if i lower the speed of the ram and raise the FSB on the ram over 250 ?

i am not complaining about 2.75 -- i usually run it at 2.7 - now i am using 2.5 -- and i tell you - it does feel somewhat slower -- i notice it because i was used to 2.7 - and i fold at home also - felt better at 2.7 folding and using the computer compared to 2.5 and folding

anyway - i have to take some pictures of my settings to post here

i do know that it was much harder to get to 2.75 from 2.7 alone --

i had to raise the volts up a notch and a half i think- and then the heat sets in - hard to keep cool - so i decided to stop it there -

now just curious if i can get higher - what do you think ?

thanks

expresso: As tasr said, that's a good oc!

As far as higher, you'll just have to try. Just watch your temps AND volts--you're already at 1.5v. Some folks find that the volts needed increase quickly when they near their MaxCPU. That was the case with mine when I got to 265x10. You can put mem on divider, but your mem looks to be Samsung UCCC, same as mine (see sig), and should be good to 260-270 1T with some tweaking. Heres a good thread on mem settings for UCCC for you to check out and try:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41953

thanks - its not bad at 2.75 -- i just wanted to see how much more i can get from the memory and cpu - i just upped it to 2.8 -- using the memory - i changed the timing from 3-4-3-8 - to 3-4-4-8 and pushed the fsb to 255 -- gave me 2.8 on the nose - cpu x11 -- but memory seems to be stable - i ran super pi -- and memtest but i the cpu is coming back unstable - with OCCT -- first at 60% -- so i upped the CPU Special volts to *104% -- ran it again - and got unstable at 80% this time with OCCT

i then upped it again to *110% -- and ran OCCT again - but got a error from the CPU so its not 100% stable and the temps did go much higher -

i would need to try it again with my A/C on --

also in my bios settings -- there is a option called

LDT/FSB Freq. Ratio -- this is set to Auto

CPU/FSB Freq. Ratio -- this is set to Auto

Write Cas Latency - TWCL - -set to Auto --

do you know if changing these settings would help me ?

and what should i try to change them to - also what does it do when i change them - so i understand what changes i am making -

i ran Super pi and all passed - also ran Everest and i scored on top with all the memory tests except for one which i came in third --

before at 2.75 -- i scored third with all of them -

it even passed the Extreme core 2 duo from intel - latest and fasted

so its pretty good - i took screen shots to keep in case i manage to pass all the other tests to make sure its stable -

so at this point - can you or anyone tell me about those settings that are set to auto - what do they do - and would it help to change them

also what do i change them to -

thanks

i have go get out for a while now - be back later to check up

thanks - its not bad at 2.75 -- i just wanted to see how much more i can get from the memory and cpu - i just upped it to 2.8 -- using the memory - i changed the timing from 3-4-3-8 - to 3-4-4-8 and pushed the fsb to 255 -- gave me 2.8 on the nose - cpu x11 -- but memory seems to be stable - i ran super pi -- and memtest but i the cpu is coming back unstable - with OCCT -- first at 60% -- so i upped the CPU Special volts to *104% -- ran it again - and got unstable at 80% this time with OCCT

i then upped it again to *110% -- and ran OCCT again - but got a error from the CPU so its not 100% stable and the temps did go much higher -

i would need to try it again with my A/C on --

also in my bios settings -- there is a option called

LDT/FSB Freq. Ratio -- this is set to Auto

CPU/FSB Freq. Ratio -- this is set to Auto

Write Cas Latency - TWCL - -set to Auto --

do you know if changing these settings would help me ?

and what should i try to change them to - also what does it do when i change them - so i understand what changes i am making -

i ran Super pi and all passed - also ran Everest and i scored on top with all the memory tests except for one which i came in third --

before at 2.75 -- i scored third with all of them -

it even passed the Extreme core 2 duo from intel - latest and fasted

so its pretty good - i took screen shots to keep in case i manage to pass all the other tests to make sure its stable -

so at this point - can you or anyone tell me about those settings that are set to auto - what do they do - and would it help to change them

also what do i change them to -

thanks

i have go get out for a while now - be back later to check up

Dude! You realise that you have been running that CPU on 1,65V(1,5 * 110%) !!? On air!!? R-E-S-P-E-C-T!! :eek:

About the settings: "THE" Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking guide! (merged all the overclocking stickies into one guide!)

Try LDT/FSB at 3, or maybe 4. What does CPU-Z say after boot?

CPU/FSB should be at 11x, but since it seems to stay there, Auto looks just fine.

More intel on what BIOS-settings do: http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios3/2.shtml

Greetz!

Anakin

2.7 - nice

cant get mine much over 2.6. runs prime for 8 hours with memory clocked down. but when i ramp the mem up again (even to stock speeds) it fails prime.

expresso & sQuid do you know what your cpu steppings are?

mine is LDBFE 0612 UPMW - REVISION BH-E4

thanks - i am not sure what my stepping is - i think it would say it with cpuz -- i will run in and check - post back later with it -

i lower my volts back down to 1.45 plus *110% -- just to check it again but only with the A/C on to keep it cool - the temps do go up much more now - also i will try the 3 or 4 on LDT/FSB -- but what excatly does that function do if i change it from auto to 3 or 4 -

i cant complain - my system does run pretty good at 2.7 and 2.75 -

on smart guardian - how high can the board take in temps - PMWIC

thats runs much hotter at 2.8 -- speed - i heard on here one time that it can handle 70c or more - ? not steady -- is that true ?

thanks - i get back later - i have to check my new laptop that just came in - HP -

thanks

later

i changed the ldt to 3 -- and cpuz says

if i am checking the right spot

HT LINK - 764 -- when i had it on auto - i think it was higher

but cant remember what it was

what is that suppose to be at to be running correctly -- ?

thanks

i changed the ldt to 3 -- and cpuz says

if i am checking the right spot

HT LINK - 764 -- when i had it on auto - i think it was higher

but cant remember what it was

what is that suppose to be at to be running correctly -- ?

thanks

That's why I gave you the link to the OC-ing guide... ;)

HT-bus should be kept at, or below 1000, being the closest value to 1000. (Yes, I know, times 2 for DDR, but that's not what CPU-Z shows us...)

Greetz!

thanks - i put my system back to the stable 2.75 - settings and cpuz says

HT 1000 -- on the nose - i read the OC guide many times -

thats how i got to this point - but i still dont know what a few settings on my bios mean and what would they do if i change them

i mentioned 3 settings on my first post or secound and i followed one advice to change the LDT / CPU to 3 or 4 - and that took my HT down to 764 i think - i put it at 3 -- so i dont know what that setting is actually doing and why i should change it

thats what i am trying to figure out -- since those settings are on auto - and its stable now with my SIG speed --

i wanted to know if those settings would make a difference if i try to get stable at 2.8 --

i ran super pi - occt stable and pcmark 03 ,05 2001se -- all passed

but sp2004 failed after 5 mins - on one core - so its not 100% stable at 2.8

i like to figure out more about the settings that are on auto in my bios so that i can maybe tweak them more and may help me get stable at 2.8 --

thanks