Blunder after BIOS Update!

Hi there!

I'm afraid I just messed up something today!

I just updated the BIOS of my nF4 SLI-DR to http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LD406.EXE , entered the bios successfully, loaded the optimizd settings and rebooted. Then, without even thinking about that, I loaded one of the CMOS RELOADED settings I had saved, rebooted and the system gave up working! :mad:

I tried resetting the CMOS in every way possible or loading via safe boot but I usually have the computer get silently stuck with 3 red leds on on cold boot and after every reset it beeps slowly and constantly (I assume that's the RAM warning [1 beep at a time]). I'm about to try other ram modules and see if the mushnink work on the other PC I got here, but if anyone has some suggestions I'd be glad to hear them!! :(

Thanks for the attention

There are 3 options. Hot-flash the bios chip in another board, Send your bios chip back to DFI for reprogramming or purchase another bios chip. Do a member search for TMOD, then send him a PM about purchasing a new bios chip and he can take care of you.

It wouldn't boot with any of the Mushkins, but it worked with standard 3200 banks and then the mushkins worked. (and the mushkins worked on the second computer too)

Problem changed:

Now the problem is that I cannot overvolt the RAM anymore!

In what I just described the overvolt jumpers were on default settings.

I re-reset the CMOS, enabled the overvolt via jumpers, entered the setup and manually restored the previous overclock (260 mhz sync with timings), but at first I couldn't go over 3.2 V with the RAM! Re-Entering the menu I got the full list up to 4.0V, so I picked 3.4 V (my default value, 3.5 are supported) I rebooted and got the beeping.

Now, even resetting the BIOS everytime, I can boot with the overvolt enabled but without having the real possibility to select overvolted values, and I always get errors (beeps) if I disable the overvolt jumpers (this never happened before).

This looks a bit weird to me... :mad: :eek:

I re-reset the CMOS, enabled the overvolt via jumpers, entered the setup and manually restored the previous overclock (260 mhz sync with timings), but at first I couldn't go over 3.2 V with the RAM!

Nevermind this part... I didn't set a manual Voltage for the CPU, I'm retrying right now!

What a pity! I never had so many problems with this setup! it looks like one of the uptions I usually set in the RAM setting page now won't work, but when I try it it's very hard to reset the bios and start over!! I usually turned of the PSU, worked with the jumper and averything was ok... now it isn't!! :confused:

is the rig stable at the moment? if so try flashing the bios to a different version say the 704-2bta, if your using a different computer that has a cd burner (be surprised if a computer does not these days) then download and use this

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

its brilliant

The main computer works, it's just that reset problem that is annoying me. It looks like I cannot set the Tcl @ 1.5 anymore at 3.4 V, but from what I heard it should not make any significant difference. Now I'm resetting the CMOS once again as the Safe boot didn't work (grrr) and I must do the reset the long way (turn off PSUs, unlug the cord, remove the battery, empty the capacitors, short the magic pin, let it be for a minute or so and undo the mess...).

Where can I find the feature page of the 704 beta drivers?

yes definatly i made that mistake and my borad wouldnt install windows properly, you must plug all 4 power connectors in on seperate lines is prefferable.

what PSU are you using aswell as this could be the problem check out the recommended psu list in the recommendations section.

yes definatly i made that mistake and my borad wouldnt install windows properly, you must plug all 4 power connectors in on seperate lines is prefferable.

what PSU are you using aswell as this could be the problem check out the recommended psu list in the recommendations section.

I never had a problem without the additional power attached, my PSU never had a problem in 4 months (NorthQ NQ-4775-400 Super Silent 400 W), but recently I had my RAM return from RMA (reloaded the old settings with no problems) and now after updating the BIOS the real problems came out!

I fear it's something RAM related... Sometimes I reload a CMOS RELOADED profile and the system hangs on reboot (if it does not it's rocking stable). I reset the CMOS and it beeps. I insert a standard DIMM and it works, I insert mine and it works, then the story begins once again... Sometime I can restore the situation resetting the CMOS and starting the rig without the DIMM in row 3! :'(