Infinity 975X/G Overclocking Issues

Polizei

Specs in sig, of course. :rolleyes:

Im at college now, and my roommate and I like to keep the room cool, so I figured I would take advantage of the excessive air conditioning and cool air and overclock some more. I had it at 9x315 for 2.835GHz, but when I bumped it up to 320, it reset back to the stock 266MHz FSB. I figured I would give it a try again and see what I could do, back to stock 266 again. I said screw it after about 20 minutes of trying 310 and even 300, but no dice, I cant get anything above stock speeds.

I updated my BIOS to the 7/31/2006 using WinFlash, and that didnt help any. I tried upping the core and NB voltages .1v ( in .05v increments) and that didnt help. I manually set my RAM timings as well and as far as I know, my RAM divider is 1:1. Disabled LPT and Virtualization.

Im on stock cooling for now, taking recommendations for air coolers... :)

I was thinking about the Tuniq Tower 120, Zalman CNPS9500, or Thermalright SI-120/128.

Can I get the 8/23 from DFI's website, or is that still in beta stage? Im weary about beta stuff, but maybe I shouldnt be because Im overclocking... :rolleyes:

When you adjust the voltages technodanvan, which one do you adjust? I see the CPU VID and CPU VTT? The manual isnt very clear on which one to adjust - It says CPU VID is the Vcore, but then CPU VTT is what is supplied to the CPU... dont those mean the same thing? :confused:

Someone on another forum suggested I change my multiplier to 6 and then change the FSB to 400 with a 2:1 divider and +.2v DRAM - where can I find the divider and multiplier settings? Sorry for all the noobish questions, this is my first build and my first overclock.

About the Thermalright coolers - which one would you recommend? Im trying to keep costs low being a college student, but I want the best bang of my buck as well. Because you have the same board - have you noticed the NB chipset gets a tad warm? Should I look into an aftermarket cooler for that as well? After a few hours of uptime, it idles at about 48ºC, gets to about 51ºC after an hour or two of gaming.

There is no multiplier changing on this board, up or down(which *should* be there).

Did you set the PCI clock to manual and 101? Do that.

Personally for small overclocks I have not seen any change in using more VTT. I keep mine at 1.20.

The divider settings are in the memory settings at the top of the Genie bios screens.

My temps are similar. I am currently at 1.37V (+87.5mV) running 366x9 on the 667div, my idle temps are like 50-52C, my extreme load temps (orthos) are in the mid 60's. I've seen people trying to say they are getting much lower temps @ higher vcore's on AIR, but until I see screens, I've got BS on speed-dial, my ultra-90 is not THAT much worse than a 120 or similar size cooler. The northbridge gets hot as hell even when replacing the stock TIM with Artic Silver 5. Mine get up to 64C on extreme load. I plan to buy the HR-05 (think thats the product code) chipset cooler in the near future.

Raju's guide helped me quite a bit to get this clock stable. Unfortunately it still won't cold boot with any sort of overclock.

Well it just frustrates me that I can have it overclocked at 2.835GHz (315x9) for a month, and when I go to increase the FSB to 320, it resets to 266 and refuses to go any higher than that. Im just baffled.

Can you explain a little about the two voltages Im seeing in BIOS? What makes them different?

Can I get the 8/23 from DFI's website, or is that still in beta stage? Im weary about beta stuff, but maybe I shouldnt be because Im overclocking... :rolleyes:

I don't think it was listed there for more than a short period of time, try giving the latest beta there a try, it's very similar if not identical.

When you adjust the voltages technodanvan, which one do you adjust? I see the CPU VID and CPU VTT? The manual isnt very clear on which one to adjust - It says CPU VID is the Vcore, but then CPU VTT is what is supplied to the CPU... dont those mean the same thing? :confused:

I believe it is VID that ranges from around 1.2-1.3 correct? Thats your base voltage then use the other one to add more on top of it. 100mV = 0.1 V.

Someone on another forum suggested I change my multiplier to 6 and then change the FSB to 400 with a 2:1 divider and +.2v DRAM - where can I find the divider and multiplier settings? Sorry for all the noobish questions, this is my first build and my first overclock.

Personally that sounds like an idiotic way to overclock, but perhaps he knows better than me. In any case this board (as well as most others) will not allow you to change the multiplier in the bios. There are some programs you could try that would do it for you while in Windows, but I don't recommend it. The divider is in the DRAM option menu and will be listed as 400, 533, 667, and 800. The 533 divider is 1:1, just so you know where you're at.

About the Thermalright coolers - which one would you recommend? Im trying to keep costs low being a college student, but I want the best bang of my buck as well. Because you have the same board - have you noticed the NB chipset gets a tad warm? Should I look into an aftermarket cooler for that as well? After a few hours of uptime, it idles at about 48ºC, gets to about 51ºC after an hour or two of gaming.

For the northbridge, I'd recommend taking it off and applying AS5 (or ceramique) and hot gluing a 40mm fan right on it or pointing an 80mm fan in that general direction. or you could do this...

...the Thermalright HR-05 (normal) chipset cooler is VERY GOOD on teh Infinity 975X/G...

I'm sure it'd be better overall, dunno though as I'm watercooling mine and have never even bothered to look at the temps on it.

The Thermalright SI-120 would be my choice for cpu heatsink on this board, and grab a decent 120mm fan to go with it. I personally like Delta and Vantec as brands of fans, but any will work really.

As for my temps...they're rediculously high. I was priming last night at 370x10 and 1.60 volts and was hitting 73C according to Everest. I'm not sure if I just have a terrible seating on my block (which I'll check someday), or if the sensor is that badly calibrated, or if Everest + x64 just don't know what the hell it's doing but my radiator doesn't get warm AT ALL. I remember running a dual core Opteron a few months ago idling at around 36C and it felt the same. If I shut the fans off then it would reach 49C at idle and the radiator was actually really warm then...which made sense.

I don't know, it seems everybody has really high temps on these things, I'm gonna try to do something about it soon because I don't like it.

Alrighty, the 533 setting is 1:1. Should I have it set on that, or should I put it on 667? I know the 667 is a different divider, but I dont know what it would be - enlighten me, please? :confused:

I read in a topic, I think it was by raju, that said the 8/16 BIOS was causing board damage in some cases - is that the case with the 8/23 ones too?

As far as the heatsink goes - Im looking at the SI-128 and the HR-01, or the XP-120. How hard is the LGA775 bracket to install for these heatsinks - some of them arent compatible with the 775 socket until you get this optional bracket - Im sure you know what Im talking about. Does that just clip into place or do I need to take my motherboard out? Right now Im really leaning towards the XP-120.

Where can I get BIOS other than the 7/31 I have?

On a side note - if that 73C temp you have is with the 975X/G, use that ITE Smart Guardian to read the temps - I think I would trust it more than Everest, which registers my CPU temp as 49C idle, while the ITE SM says its 41. That program should have come on the driver disk with the motherboard.

ITE doesn't work on x64, so I'm kinda stuck there.

I'd say the 400 divider is better for overclocking at this time, then try to increase when you find your max cpu speed.

Check out the beta bios section on the official DFI website.

I know I shouldnt have done this, but whatever I did, fixed my overclocking woes.

At first, I set my RAM speed to 533MHz. I disabled c1e (dont know how I forgot that), changed my RAM refresh rate to 7.8 us, and the PCI-E clock to 101MHz. I then rebooted, went back into BIOS, changed my FSB to 315MHz, and it booted to 2.835GHz. Restarted, went to 320 and then 325. It reset back to 266 when I tried to boot with it at 325. I then changed my RAM to 400MHz and then tried 320 again. It worked. Went to 325, 330 and then 334. It booted at 334, 3.02GHz on stock cooling, idling at about 44C. :eek:

I think the funny part is that Im using the stock heatsink and stock thermal paste/pad too... I couldnt find my AS5.

I think the room temperature being 60F may have something to do with my temps... :rolleyes:

Im going to check stability tonight, 2 instances of SP2004, 1 on each core for what, 9 hours is enough to test stability, no?

Thank you so much everyone who helped me! :) :)