Sign in to follow this  
demonR6

NF4 boot issues

I encountered a problem yesterday where the computer would not boot. I was getting power up, fans, hard drive were all spooling up and the LEDS all cycled through and the remaining 1 was lit up. No video though so I do not know if it was posting.

I tore down the system completely starting from scratch.. I have my system watercooled so I was not able to do it by the book but even then with only the video card, the CPU and one stick of ram in the farthest orange slot it boots. I swapped out ram to make sure the second stick was fine and again it boots. On the next attempt I try both sticks and it hangs on the boot screen. I swap the ram around and make another attempt, nothing. Next I swap out the ram for the two yellow slots and repeat procedure, it boots.

I am guessing that somehow the slot closest to the CPU is fried as that is the one that is giving me trouble? I want to put it back together and make sure nothing else is borked. Is it okay to run the ram in the yellow slots? I know since day one we have been told that the orange slots is what we need to run the ram in.

I don't know if I am better off buying a new board at this point. I just can't figure out why it died for no reason. I have never had any issues and the board has always been rock solid.

Comments, concerns, complaints or suggestions are appreciated.

Enabling memtest in the BIOS and test #5 and #8 for 10-20 passes each. The all test for 20 passes. This is to rule out your memory been an issue.

With one stick in the orange slot furthest from the cpu, boot up, load optimized default settings, enable Memtest and reboot. Run Memtest #5 and #8, 8-10 passes each. If no error run the complete test for 3-4 hours. Switch sticks and rerun tests. . If both sticks pass try to boot with both installed. If it does boot run the previous tests with both sticks. The yellow slots will work but HZ sticks normally won't clock as high in those slots.

Edit: tsar your fast.

20 passes each stick on tests 5 & 8 with no errors in slot 1. I am now running both sticks in the orange slots memtest 5 with no errors so far at 10 passes.