Sign in to follow this  
raju

Okay P5wdg2 pro in the house, lets see what it can really do..

true but I look more into the 2005 and 2006 3dmark tests than i do anything when it comes to gaming (as game engines more closely resemble the 2005/2006 engine in how it uses cpu/gpu/ram)

for non-gaming, I always like to encode raw DV footage (about 10:1 ratio when compiled...ie 1GB of raw DV footage compiled into high-quality 3Mbp/s wmv ends up at 100MB), or use DVD Shrink, along with Easy CD-DA Extractor for mp3 creation.

For everyday tasks....heh...I just...surf the web and check email and insult the moderators on MSN Messenger, use a little Teamspeak and Skype... what else is there?

I see the difference in scores across the board between 533 divider and 667 (and especially 400...you get so low on the divider that it starts to negate any cpu mhz increase, just like I showed everyone it did with A64's), but that is easily recognized because I'm looking at numbers numbers and more benchmark numbers, comparing them side-by-side...but in reality they mean very little in actual performance in modern games and intensive applications...just like AMD64, the cpu mhz increase more than negates any performance penalties incurred by dropping the divider...to a certain point.

I've not been able to get to doing exact performance comparisons with the C2D yet like I have done with the A64 cpu's:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

But

I will, once I am done benching all the video stuff vs the FX-60 Crossfire rig that is my everyday gaming/work rig. So we'll be able to clear that up one way or another definitively (at least on the 975X/G board and if you have time to do the same thorough comparison on your P5B 965).

Only negative so far is that I started rolling out the 3Ghz E6600 vs 2600Mhz FX-60 set of benchmarks, which is about 20 screenshots because I run all the 3dmark benches at their default settings in 1024/1280/1600 resolutions (3 screens there for each of the 4 3dmark benchmarks), then again with all the eye candy turned on (4xAA / 16xAF, which is 4 more screens per benchmark program).

Then I run a game like COD2 custom timedemo and have to take 6 more screenshots (3 at each res with default settings, 3 at each res with all the eye candy).

Then I do Half Life 2: Lost Coast....6 more ugh lol.

Then I tried fiddling with Serious Sam II and a custom bench but the E6600 totally screws up with it, yet it runs fine on the FX-60 (for the record, Serious Sam II PLAYS just fine, it just hates the custom benchmark timedemo).

Then Company of Heroes

I'd do Quake4 but I can't find the dvd nor the box, and last time it didn't work worth a darn anyway when you put the dual-core patch on it (started crashing instantly to the desktop...ran fine without the dual-core patch tho...but Q4 REALLY takes advantage of the dual-core patch on a dual-core rig!)

anyway

I had maybe 18 screens done, when I went to save the next benchmark screenshot, and realized there was already a pic with the name this one should have had, which means somewhere along the line, I got screwed up and mis-labeled some screenshot...and there's SO damn many of them that I start seeing funny numbers in my head when I try to compare them and get all messed up and got very angry and cursed really loud for about three minutes then decided to start all over because that is the only way I could make sure that they were not...corrupting my results

(i akin it to one of those tests you had to take in school where you used the pencil to fill in the bubbles, and they fed it into the machine to grade it...but if you accidentally skipped an answer line, it would totally screw the whole score up and you'd fail miserably, especially if your mistake was near the beginning..all of your answers would be right, except they'd be on the wrong line, so the machine would mark them incorrect).

and by posting a 10,000 word essay on it, it has thankfully allowed me to take a much needed break of bench-screenshot-bench-screenshot-bench-screenshot-bench-screenshot-bathroom-bench-screenshot etc

whoops yes, i stand corrected only a few points difference in the extra divider... Like you I got screenshots allover the place...

anyway my friend got me hold of a pre release bios..

I am testing that as we speak...

regards

Raja

so far there's no immediate difference with this newer bios (I have a feeling that users reporting an increase had ram that was slightly incompatible with older bios releases), the good thing is the unlocked multiplier (for some, does not bother me that much).

FSB wise I have used memset to adjust some of the secondry timings and I'm currently running orthos at 425 fsb 4-4-4-12 1:1, I left page close idle timer at 4, maybe 5 would have been better.

I can't put on anymore vcore at this point as 1.55 bios (1.58) is about all my current cooling allows. I can add the extra pump tonight and watercool the chipset too. In some cases people have gained 5-7 fsb with wc on the chipset.

I don't think this post will detract any from the Infinity sale score, as 3.6ghz at the price is mighty impressive and way more than enough for most. I think the experienced amonst us can truly understand and grasp that.

I think the lanparty, launch price will be closer to the Pro board I have tested here, so that's where the core battle will be, for the enthusiast overclocker market. But I have a feeling we'll be dealing with smaller differences but perhaps a more flexible DFI bios (which Oskar is famous for).

The next step up from here for fsb, on either the DFI or Asus boards, is whether they allow a 1333fsb strap in bios or it's hidden manipulation. However the reduced latency of the strap means you have to make up that deficit with quite a bump in fsb, which at this point (3.8ghz or so), may not be that viable.

Lets see what the R600 holds...

regards

Raja

Good work man...I like to see that you are even fully aware of the limits of the cpu's period and the TYPE of cooling that it WILL take to run the numbers you are running and it will NOT make any diference what brand board it is....that you know and I know.

What I truly fear is what the "average" does not know and is so impressed by the bench hype that they think DFI or "magic'' board will hand them the those 4ghz clocks. Hog manure. COOLING, COOLING and then a great cpu on a board as stout as that ~$300.00 board you have will give big numbers.

I have never ever been confused as neither are you 'raju' at where the skin it till it bleeds speeds come from. It ain't magic and it really is not day to day 24/7 possible beyond about 3200mhz on air. Maybe a shade more as I am running 3248Mhz right now typing this out on very very quiet air...on a 975X/G with 6600. Problem is I just plain have gotten tired of MY personal quest for super high suicide runs and know the boards limits and have had other fish to fry really.

I liked your style and only one poster in this thread missed your mentality and I thank you for both the 'view' and your coolness to run what you brung in the "street" style. H/A_G was spot on when he said DFI needs to get the lead out for sure because the market is forging ahead and not marking time. Well not in the overclocking arena...they are not idling in other markets. I have no doubts this 975X/G is stout over time, since I could not break mine...no matter how hard I beat it nor what size hammer I used. The second I can get a DFI Core2Rocket...the 975X/G has a home pulling day in an day out monster duties where BS need not apply...

Good read and good attitude there 'raju'...thanks.

RGone...

so far there's no immediate difference with this newer bios (I have a feeling that users reporting an increase had ram that was slightly incompatible with older bios releases), the good thing is the unlocked multiplier (for some, does not bother me that much).

FSB wise I have used memset to adjust some of the secondry timings and I'm currently running orthos at 425 fsb 4-4-4-12 1:1, I left page close idle timer at 4, maybe 5 would have been better.

I can't put on anymore vcore at this point as 1.55 bios (1.58) is about all my current cooling allows. I can add the extra pump tonight and watercool the chipset too. In some cases people have gained 5-7 fsb with wc on the chipset.

I don't think this post will detract any from the Infinity sale score, as 3.6ghz at the price is mighty impressive and way more than enough for most. I think the experienced amonst us can truly understand and grasp that.

I think the lanparty, launch price will be closer to the Pro board I have tested here, so that's where the core battle will be, for the enthusiast overclocker market. But I have a feeling we'll be dealing with smaller differences but perhaps a more flexible DFI bios (which Oskar is famous for).

The next step up from here for fsb, on either the DFI or Asus boards, is whether they allows a 1333fsb strap in bios or it's hidden manipulation. However the reduced latency of the strap means you have to make up that deficit with quite a bump in fsb, which at this point (3.8ghz or so), may not be that viable.

Lets see what the R600 holds...

regards

Raja

Good work man...I like to see that you are even fully aware of the limits of the cpu's period and the TYPE of cooling that it WILL take to run the numbers you are running and it will NOT make any diference what brand board it is....that you know and I know.

What I truly fear is what the "average" does not know and is so impressed by the bench hype that they think DFI or "magic'' board will hand them the those 4ghz clocks. Hog manure. COOLING, COOLING and then a great cpu on a board as stout as that ~$300.00 board you have will give big numbers.

I have never ever been confused as neither are you 'raju' at where the skin it till it bleeds speeds come from. It ain't magic and it really is not day to day 24/7 possible beyond about 3200mhz on air. Maybe a shade more as I am running 3248Mhz right now typing this out on very very quiet air...on a 975X/G with 6600. Problem is I just plain have gotten tired of MY personal quest for super high suicide runs and know the boards limits and have had other fish to fry really.

I liked your style and only one poster in this thread missed your mentality and I thank you for both the 'view' and your coolness to run what you brung in the "street" style. H/A_G was spot on when he said DFI needs to get the lead out for sure because the market is forging ahead and not marking time. Well not in the overclocking arena...they are not idling in other markets. I have no doubts this 975X/G is stout over time, since I could not break mine...no matter how hard I beat it nor what size hammer I used. The second I can get a DFI Core2Rocket...the 975X/G has a home pulling day in an day out monster duties where BS need not apply...

Good read and good attitude there 'raju'...thanks.

RGone...

I can't begin to tell you how much pleasure I have had in reading such an intelligent well worded and mature post. The enthusiast overclocking scene is incredibly devoid of seasoned 'worldwise' writers. You sould post here more often when you have time, it's been a long time since I've seen somebody cut between the lines like that. Thanks to both you and Happy_games for showing me the flexiblity to allow this thread.

I hope I have given many users an insight into how hype can blind reality. Rgone has summed this thread up to perfection, giving the future purchaser much to think about before making a plunge.

thanks to all.

On a final note:

Using memset has allowed me a couple of extra fsb so far, so it's worth experimenting with looser timings if you really must push your cpu to it's outer limits...

Here's something that'll interest those who want a few extra fsb form their cpu;

3.825 4-4-4-12, with the secondry timings copied for the auto spd settings of the 4:5 divider (credit to Simon Maltby)...

382511sj0.th.jpg

There's probably more in this too....

I'll leave that to you guys though..

regards

Raja

I can't begin to tell you how much pleasure I have had in reading such an intelligent well worded and mature post. The enthusiast overclocking scene is incredibly devoid of seasoned 'worldwise' writers. You sould post here more often when you have time, it's been a long time since I've seen somebody cut between the lines like that.

raju

The above paragraph especially applies to you. You came to this forum with a competitor's board. You have showed what the board is capable of using the stability methods required here. Not once did you talk negatively about DFI or how much better this board is compared to the DFI offering. You used testing methods we can relate to and posted the results for to compare. Your testing and posted results were more then fair and impartial.

You have demonstrated how a review should be done. You are definitely a minority in this respect as is Happy_Games. You and Happy_Games should be commended for this thread. You for the way it has been presented and H_G for even allowing it.

You last post sounds like a goodbye. I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I say hopefully you'll stop in from time to time and share your thoughts.

Regards

Praz

I'll be around Praz, as long as DFI keep producing Lanparties, the one like DA 'Spock' will be around....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBXal1GAA4A

I have only been overclocking since February this year. I am no master, or even good at what I do. I learn fast and I flex, things that are rigid are prone to snapping, nature is a oneness and it's philosphy carries through into life.

You have to be flexible in your approach, on this newer platform do not get stroppy cause your ram will not run at spec at higher fsb's or dividers. It's a new platform there will be issues.

Have a flexible agile mind, think out of the box, run looser if you have to, it's no big deal. Use memset to check secondry timings at various fsb's.

That's the trick to Orthos stability at higher fsb, and quite often the only things seperating the better overclocks from the medium ones.

AFAIK Conroe has not really been speed binned, most cpu's are capable of hitting the same speeds, there will obviously be variance over time, but that's just the luck of the draw....

regards

Raja

4g super pi....

4gsuperpiws0.th.jpg

this is how it all began, the 4g story.....

I said I'd post this in reply to post 2 at the start of this thread. I just wanted to prove it was within my repertoire, for the guys that thought I had a duff P5WDG2 Pro, that did not like anything over 440fsb.... It took me 2 minutes to do this, no more.

Sorry, I just thought it would complete the story of this thread, that's all...

Same cooling, 1.51vcore (bios)

regards

Raja

i am thinking this is about as far as i wanna go with the setup....these chips run super hot, when you crank up the volts, i am lucky to have such a nice oc on just 1.4v, but this mobo overvolts by .5.

waiting on the dfi mobo, which i read on xs that Travis will have an es soon... :)

then this one will be for sale ;)