Sign in to follow this  
WintersFury

EverCool VC-RF @ a CompUSA near You!

Well I seem to be mistaken about the cooler being useful. So I've removed the post due to error ;)

The RF has different mount than the RE does.

Really? I had read a review where the reviewer had put it on a DFI board... Talk about annoying...

The mounting holes look to be at the exact same spacing though. So I don't see why it wouldn't fit?

I think the RF uses and metal brkt and spacing is off. I have not tried it but thats what others have posted.

I think the RF uses and metal brkt and spacing is off. I have not tried it but thats what others have posted.

Well since I used the ramsinks on a vid card, I'll have to give it a try when I pull my mobo out to switch cases soon.

The pushpins fit though the holes for the lil metal brackety thing fine. And the spacing seems the same. If all else fails it'll go on my fx5500 cause the cooler on that is busted and I have a 80mm zip tied to the card to keep it from overheating. hehehehe

Anyone know the spacing of the push pins for the NF4 heatsink offhand? Cause I'm not finding it online too easy.

Guest GripS

Here's the deal. The RF has holes in the base of the heatsink and they are not perfectly lined up with the holes on the motherboard. So while you may be able to get the push pins to go through they will be going through at such an angle that does not allow proper contact with the chipset. The RE has the holes in a metal bracket that runs accross the heatsink. While they don't line up perfectly either the metal bracket allows for leeway so the heatsink will still sit flush on the chipset. This makes the RE a much better choice if you don't want to be bothered with modifying the cooler.

NOW if you must use the RF you CAN file out the holes in the heatsink so the pins go through straight. But most of us do not have a circular file to perform this task.

To sum it up: VC-RE works without any modification VC-RF WILL work but needs to be modified.

Here's the deal. The RF has holes in the base of the heatsink and they are not perfectly lined up with the holes on the motherboard. So while you may be able to get the push pins to go through they will be going through at such an angle that does not allow proper contact with the chipset. The RE has the holes in a metal bracket that runs accross the heatsink. While they don't line up perfectly either the metal bracket allows for leeway so the heatsink will still sit flush on the chipset. This makes the RE a much better choice if you don't want to be bothered with modifying the cooler.

NOW if you must use the RF you CAN file out the holes in the heatsink so the pins go through straight. But most of us do not have a circular file to perform this task.

To sum it up: VC-RE works without any modification VC-RF WILL work but needs to be modified.

I have a drill press and about every size of drill bit I'd need to make the holes bigger or move them. I'll have to give it a try, who knows.

Guest GripS

In that case it should work fine for you.

Sign in to follow this