Sign in to follow this  
Iceman54

What Benchmark?

I have got my CPU to the fastest I can get it on Air. What I want to know is what is the best program to run to test me memory settings while I tweak them? I was using 3DMark but it just doesn't seem to be what I need.

Prime 95 blend seem's to work good for ram and also run the 3dmark03 test for 3d stability. Window's based memtest to at least 1000% coverage also works pretty good.

I am new at this but how exactly will Memtest tell me if the changes I make are for the best or worst? That goes for 3DMark03 too. I just am trying to find something that will show me if the changes are better or worse?

I know that Memtest shows if the memory is stable and the same for 3DMarks but I just want to see if its better or worse.

memtest will give you raw unbuffered memory bandwidth

each change within the DRAM timings of the board will raise or lower the unbuffered bandwidth and you can see the change with each reboot and entry into Memtest

3dMark 3d benchmarks will not show enough performance increase or decrease unless you use the older 3dMark2001SE as it is more cpu dependent than any other version that we use for testing

Prime95 will not show any indication of performance, it will only test stability and generate a lot of heat (this is a good thing)

Memtest86 is too unrefined... while Prime95 is soo demanding. I would suggest you try SuperPi32 and see if it finish the whole test, if it doesn't check out what type of error you get... sometimes one type refers to cpu being unstable, while another one says the RAM needs adjusting.

SuperPi is not meant for this... but together with Memtest and Prime95 will be something in between those two.

You can use everest to test read and write but will not tell you if it is stable. Didn't realize you were just trying to find best performance just be sure to test for stability too. Really suck's when window's corrupts on ya.

I also just play a very demanding game. Changing the secondary memory timings seem to influence how smooth or choppy a game can be rendered. I'll generally use BF2 in single player mode and fly a chopper around a map. As timings change, the ability to render the chopper flight can go from choppy to smooth. Maybe not the most qualitative way to tweak memory, but I'm tweaking for 3D smoothness at that point in time.

You can also use the Science Mark Program for tweaking memory latencies. There is a test that will just test for mem latency. The test gives one a handle on how low/high their memory latency is. This provides very good qualitative info when tweaking memory.

I have the CPU as far as it will go. It is 238FSBx11 and what I'm working on now is 262FSBx10 which is very stable. I ran prime for 14hrs. and ran 3DMarks 2001, 03, 05, 06 all with no problems. All I am trying to do now is just tighten the timings and I'll be doen.

This system is wierd! The FSB gets to 262 with the 109.6% of 1.35V. Then I raised it to 112% and only got to 263FSB with that raise in VCORE. I had like it says in the manual so that the CPU was the only thing it was raising. So I decided to just keep the 262FSBx10 and end it there. So thats when I adjusted the memory and have it close to where I want it but I'm just trying to tighten it just a little.

Stability and performance ?

The problem with prime95 .... it takes too long and does not fully cover the video side

or subsystem. I have had a good number of overnight successes with prime95 only

to find out that my rig won't last hours upon hours of gaming. Fortunately I still have a

10 year old kid who could go on the whole weekend playing games ... my ultimate tester.

My favorite is 1. OCCT running together with 3dMark2001se or 2. Super_pi 32M plus 3dMark2001se.

If the rig completes either one .... in my experience I have yet to see

a failure in an overnight Prime95 or hours on hours of gaming using my ultimate tester.

The beauty of it ..... it only takes about 30 minutes of testing!!!

Just my opinion and personal experience.:)