Sign in to follow this  
politbureau

Help? 7900GTX | X1900XTX

I don't want this to degrade into a nVidia vs ATI thread, but.... I wanted to ask whether anyone had an opinion on the GTX vs XTX.

I currently have a GTX and am very happy with it. The drivers are mature, the card runs quite cool (and quiet) with my Accelero, and compatibility hasn't been a problem so far.

However I'm building a second gaming rig for my GF, who is hardcore into Oblivion right now, and I'm willing to spend the cash if just to get the use of my computer back!

Without getting game/application specific, can anyone weigh in with their thoughts? Here's my current thinking:

7900GTX

- cool & quiet

- mature drivers

- potential to go SLI later on

X1900XTX

- faster at higher resolutions?

- no SLI potential

I would be running this on an SLI-DR eX hooked up to a Dell 24" widscreen display, so I'd need to push 1680x1050 at all times for games. My reading has been that the XTX does slightly better at higher resolutions, so this is the way I'm leaning - but then there is also the possibility of going SLI later on when the price of the GTX comes down.

Help?

I don't want this to degrade into a nVidia vs ATI thread, but.... I wanted to ask whether anyone had an opinion on the GTX vs XTX.

I currently have a GTX and am very happy with it. The drivers are mature, the card runs quite cool (and quiet) with my Accelero, and compatibility hasn't been a problem so far.

However I'm building a second gaming rig for my GF, who is into Oblivion right now, and I'm willing to spend the cash if just to get the use of my computer back!

Without getting game/application specific, can anyone weigh in with their thoughts? Here's my current thinking:

7900GTX

- cool & quiet

- mature drivers

- potential to go SLI later on

X1900XTX

- faster at higher resolutions?

- no SLI potential

I would be running this on an SLI-DR eX hooked up to a Dell 24" widscreen display, so I'd need to push 1680x1050 at all times for games. My reading has been that the XTX does slightly better at higher resolutions, so this is the way I'm leaning - but then there is also the possibility of going SLI later on when the price of the GTX comes down.

Help?

Since no one's posted, I'll post just for the heck of it.

I own an X1900XT (but it's a Crossfire Edition branded card) and it runs HL2 just fine... nets me bursts of 265fps @ 1440x900 with max eye candy, the res of my 19 inch WS.

Factoring out my gaming experiences, 7900GTXes do indeed run cooler and quiter, because they have a larger hsf and less transistors. From what I've read, both cards are neck to neck, and offer good performance nonetheless. I'd recommend the 7900GTX if you're concerned about cooling/heat. Drivers indeed are mature, but I think ATI will someday get there (I hope). However, many people pull up the "ATI has better IQ" argument. I cannot say this for sure. Either way, as I've said, you'll get excellent performance.

BTW, ATI released a new version of the X1900, the X1950. It's pretty much the same thing as the current X1900 except that it uses faster GDDR4 memory (stock clocked at 2ghz). That may be something to look at. It should improve performance, and it's probably one of the only non-DX10 cards to ship with GDDR4 memory. I would look at that as a serious contender to the 7900GTX.

Also, ATI has its own version of SLI, Crossfire. It has it's own slowdowns because of the external link connecting the two cards together, but should provide, again, excellent performance.

Hope this helps a little bit. The info may be on or off, but I think that it's accurate enough.

the 7900gtx is is about 400 bucks and you can find the 1900xt for like 300 bucks the IQ is much better on the ATI cus my friend has one and they are basically the same inn performance but remember you can run HDR + AA on ATI but not on nvidia. i'm thinking about making the jump to ATI also but i need a new MB so i'm still thinking about cus i want to run crossfire.

While it is true u can run HDR+AA at the same time, I think nVidia's coming out with a solution for that. Or already has. Don't know yet.

Yeah, lots of ppl argue that the IQ in ATI is better, but with either you're getting the best.

Consider the X1950XTX, seriously. Its GDDR4 is pretty much the reason to get it.

However I'm building a second gaming rig for my GF, who is hardcore into Oblivion right now, and I'm willing to spend the cash if just to get the use of my computer back!

Easy... go for the x1900XTX :)

For Oblivion ATI developed a patch for the game so both HDR and FSAA could work together. The game doesn't support both things, stories about ATI being able to use both and nVidia doesn't are just myths... a game that supports both things will work well with both card manufacturers, like for example HL2 Ep1.

I would take this oportunity to check out the other brand, so you keep the 7900GTX and your GF the x1900XTX... or viceversa.

Negligible performance differences, $50 price difference between 7900GTX and X1900XTX, $50 price difference between the X1900XTX and the X1900XT...

I think the X1900XT is the best bet, but I'm a cheap bastard.

I had the same dilemma... i went for the ATi cause the price tag was lower and i also found a good deal on ebay.

To show some numbers, here is what i could do with stock settings on the card and my Sandy 3700 @ 2805 Mhz:

3dMark03

3d03ki3.th.jpg

3dMark05

3d05nu0.th.jpg

3dMark06

3d06rk8.th.jpg

I m not saying this is the card you should get, i m just saying this is what u can expect with similar hardware components.. tomorrow i ll get a core2 setup, i might add some more numbers in a few days

surprised no one recommended a 7900gs or 7950gt

Those are a diferent price range options... but you are right, two 7950GT or 7900GS in SLI would be faster than any of the 7900GTX or x1900XTX by a lot.

Those are a diferent price range options... but you are right, two 7950GT or 7900GS in SLI would be faster than any of the 7900GTX or x1900XTX by a lot.

Hmmm...I was just looking at Tomshardware in the interative VGA charts and was comparing the x1900xtx 512mb/2x7900gt sli.

In the game charts it seemed to show they were pretty evenly matched,the ATI card won some and the Nvidia sli won some,also I'm more interested in 1200x1600,which is what I game at.

In the 3Dmark2006 bench,sli killed the ATI score,but I'm not sure how that affects real world gaming

I guess for me the biggest factor was how accurate the interactive guide was,as I can't test the 2 setups for myself,nor do I know anyone who has tested both setups in real world gaming.

I am trying to figure out what's better for me between the 2 setups w/newer more demanding games coming out

They didn't test 7950 sli so the 7900gt sli was as close as I could get