NOOB needs help

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right. I looked around a bunch but I don't think I know enough to be able to actually find what I'm looking for so I'll just describe my situation:

This is my first build and everything seemed to be going pretty well. I had everything pu t together and the sysytem working for about a week as I read more about what I should do to at least get my system to stable stock settings (as I learn more I hope to OC). I read that I should update to the current version of bios for my board which is the 4/6/06 version. I downloaded it and ran winflash and everything seemed OK. But when I restarted, only the fans and disc drives powered up, but no signal to the monitor. 3 of the diagnostic LEDs remain lit while the 4th blinks intermittedly.

So now I'm not sure what I should do (the BIOS update was the only thing I changed). Do I need to do the clear CMOS thing or is there something else I should do? If I should clear the CMOS what do I do after? Do I need to update the BIOS again? What if the same thing happens again?

Sorry for the length, I'm just a bit anxious about this as its my baby and I rely on it for my work. Thanks in advance for any help! (Also I'm writing this from my parents house so I won't be able to check it until tomorrow)

Yhea I know what you did wrong! You used winflash to flash you;re bios from within windows! Thats no good dude buy a floppy drive never do it from Winblows!!! First of all I have given you my opinion on flashing from windows but in addition to that why would you flash you bios with out understanding what you are doing? Yes you need to clear you're cmos after you flash! Take the battery out and put the jumper pins in the clear position for about 3 hrs and prey that you did not screw youre board up! I tell you 3 hrs because that should be enough time for you to get you're act together and do the reading you should have done to begin with to fully understand the bios flash proceedure and what comes after! Better yet make it 4 hrs this way you should have more than enough time to search around and understand whats going on. Personnally I would go out and buy a floppy drive if I were you and redownload the bios file again and reflash after you read and understand the proper flassh procedure as well as a full 24 hour clear cmos with a ps2 keyboard. Remember bro Bios Flashing is the one thing that you should have full understanding of before flashing and updating you're bios and dont ever assume that all boards are the same with procedure!!! Now take the advice or pay the price its you're stuff so this is in you're best intrest, we will help but arent gong to do it for you!

OOOPS..... Let me emphasise the clear cmos before the reflash!!! But do the reading

Do I need to do the clear CMOS thing or is there something else I should do? If I should clear the CMOS what do I do after? Do I need to update the BIOS again? What if the same thing happens again?

I would clear the CMOS.

Normal Clear CMOS:

1. Pull power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

2. pull battery

3. clear cmos jumper for minimum of 30-60 seconds *For Real troublesome systems use 8 hours*.

4. replace cmos jumper to normal position

5. replace battery

6. replace power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults

8. save and exit

9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking. *Is what we are trying to get to*.

The above is especially true after some unknown boot failure and after a bios flash. Per RGone

Follow the "official" thread and you should be back in the game. Good luck.

As it was so eloquently said already by Esau. Winflash isn't the best idea for updating the bios, especially if your not sure on the memory being 100% stable.

I'd try clearing the cmos, that may fix the problem. I had that problem with an Asus board before and clearing the cmos got me runing enough to reflash it. Do an 8hr clear or something before you go to sleep just in case. Never hurts to overdo a cmos clear.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to get that chip hotflashed from another board or sent back to dfi to be re-flashed or something.

Type for 2 mins and you see 5 replies by the time yer done :P

Welcome to the street!

Flashing the bios can sometimes be hazardous. One thing that i have heard over and over again is that if it isnt broke, dont fix it. A BIOS update is only recommended if you are currently having problems or if the specific BIOS update adresses fixes a problem that you have symptoms of. As Brother Esau said, is to always flash the bios from a floppy instead of windows. Its a general rule of thumb.

Check out THIS THREAD for clearing your CMOS and see if it boots afterwords.

EDIT: LOL, im always too slow to post...heh...

Power off the system (turn off or unplug the PSU also - then wait 10 seconds and press your System On button, PSU still off, for 5 seconds to clear all the capacitors). Clear CMOS with the jumper on pins2-3 (try 10 minutes battery in - jumper is just below the yellow port for the floppy on the right edge of the board). Replace jumper on pins1-2 and turn your PSU back on. Power on the system, press DEL key at first screen (DFI logo or System info) and enter your BIOS setup. Select 'Optimize settings'. Set up the rest of your bios: date/time, boot order (choose CD as first), turn Thermal Throttling and CoolNQuiet off. Save and exit.

Load Windows and download Tmods ISO (follow instuctions to burn to CD) from here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

Reboot and boot off Tmods CD. Choose NF4 Expert Bios from the Menu and then choose the bios you wish to use for your update.

(If the CMOS clear didn't work i.e you couldn't get into your Bios setup, redo but also take the battery out and try for half hour. If that doesn't work, read and follow this to the letter:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

)

thanks for all the advice... I will clear CMOS overnight tonight and see what happens. (btw the reason I updated the BIOS was that I thought I needed to in order to be able to use both cards on my gpu? myabe i was wrong) I will repost tomorrow tih results.

Once again thanks for your patience/help as I try to un-noobify myself.

Dude its all good we are just trying too emphasize the point of uderstanding what youare doing with the bios stuff is all its in you're best intrest! I said what I did because I meant it and by no means was it to say hey you are and idiot it was and is to say hey dude asses you're situation first and then determine if you need to update you're bios! But in addition to that its also to say hey dont be an idiot and play with fire untill you know how hot the flame burns and you are sure that you can control it before lighting the match! But all in all we are in agreance on this one we just havbe different ways of telling it. Some people might think I'm harsh and abrasive with some things but the fact of the matter is I'm not a butthole and I'm not trying to be one, I just wont sugar coat anything and and dance you around in a circle playing tail chase ia all . I tell it exactly how it is with anyone not just you I assure you! But we all really do want to see you post back with sucessfull result remember no Winflash and get a Floppy Drive they are like $6.00 from the EGG and some floppy disks while you are there.