new board stuck at 1 led ?

*update. i cleared the cmos for 8hrs but the problem remains. i've tried single ram at top orange slot, single gfx card, no sata drives, no cd-roms. still wouldnt work. and it keeps beeping while being stuck at 1 led

i just got back another board frm the distro and the showed me that it is indeed working but when i got back fitted in my stuffs it refused to boot at all.

remains stuck at 1 led and keeps beeping. already tried clearing cmos but problem remains. i tried with 2 graphics cards and the problem remains.

seriously, pls help me. i simply dont get it, both graphics cards tested, m/b proven to be ok at distro.

now what ?

Can you get into bios?

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

The lower(PCI) Amber LED is the 5VSB indicator. The upper Amber LED is the RAM voltage indicator. Once the rig has started and been shut down the RAM LED will go out until the PSU is power cycled.

Well you have two things that might be working against you. First, you're using 'value' ram, which can be a pain to get working correctly on these boards. Second, you're using a sub-par power supply - it might be okay, but then again it might not.

First I'd suggest using a multimeter to ensure your power supply is working correctly.

Second, do a long CMOS clear. That means unplugging your power supply, removing the battery from your motherboard, and letting it sit clearing the CMOS for 12+ hours. A whole 24 hours is recommended.

After that, do a bare minimal build. 1 stick of ram and your graphics card, essentially. No hard disks, no CD- drives, nothing that absolutely isn't essential, we're just trying to get into the bios here.

Once (if) you get into the bios, manually set your voltage for both the CPU and RAM (whatever they're rated at) and manually set your main timings and set 1T. Also enable memtest.

Reboot and run 5 passes or so of tests number 5 and 8 in memtest on that single stick of RAM. if it passes, swap sticks and do the same thing. if they both pass, stick them both into the orange slots and run it again.

If your ram is fine there, go ahead and connect a hard disk and CD-ROM and try to install Windows.

As soon as you get it loaded (and all necessary drivers and whatnot), I'd run two instances of Prime95 for a day. Monitor your voltages and temperatures here too.

*currently testing the setup now.

i got a question re: PSUs and power rails. i was thinking whether plugging in of HDDs, water pumps and other equipment onto which rail has an effect on the stability. as in, does it matter if i plug in all my cd-roms and water pumps together ?

if it's matter of amps per rail, i cant tell which rail is which because i've got 3 rails for my 12V and 2 support 12A and the last one supports 6A.

can i plug in other devices on the same power rail that is connected to the board (the 4 connectors) ?

i understand wht u mean by the bios part but my monitor doesnt display anything and i am quite sure my monitor is fine as i got it back from repairs a few weeks prior to the recent spate of problems

but waht am testing if i get a multitester to the psu?

i tested my rams when i was at the distro so it's safe to say it's not an issue?

thanks for the prompt replies guys