Sign in to follow this  
Iceman54

Question about SLI

yes it would. wit newer games coming out, u'l b able to play more smoothly (or is it smoother? my english sux) using cranked up eye candy settings....

yes it'll boost the fps...

thus u'll have more room of cranking the quality settings which will definitely drop those FPS...

but if u already maxed up the quality settings on ur max resolution and ur still getting satisfying FPS... well, the answer is no... SLI wont do jack-crap...

but i doubt u wont b buying newer games wit that kinda setup ;)

if you aren't going to be using 1600x1200 resolution or higher, a single card is all you need....SLI/Crossfire is a waste of money.

1600x1200 or higher...and SLI/Crossfire is what you want.

Ive never seen double performance from 2 gpu's!!!

but hey i probably put them in upside down or sumthin anywayz,:P

Ive never seen double performance from 2 gpu's!!!

but hey i probably put them in upside down or sumthin anywayz,:P

they really are the shizznit when running 1600x1200 or higher resolution with 4xAA / 16xAF and all the eye candy maxed out

if you aren't going to be using 1600x1200 resolution or higher, a single card is all you need....SLI/Crossfire is a waste of money.

1600x1200 or higher...and SLI/Crossfire is what you want.

id have to say, thats a negative....what about my case?

i have an SLI mobo

i have 1 7900GT

i have SLI -capable components (PSU, ram, etc...)

and i wanna play Dark Messiah of Might n Magic at 1280x1024 at 4xAA 16xAA......

id say for another $250 id get a good boost to b able to play that title on all eye candy and an investment until Crysis...

instead of forking out $400 for a new video card (and possible more for the PSU to handle that card) and the hassle of selling my 7900(the only way i can afford $400:p) and wasting the SLI capabilities of my system....

whats with people these days they see SLI and the only thing they can think of is either u put 2 of one of the fastest card out there from day 1 (check out the GTO rave now...), or ud have to play 1600xx++ resolution to see any result;

or else ud better off spending 1 faster new card.

seems like nowadays nobody noticed the purpose of SLI (other than to have the power of dual-vga) is to enable people who invest on the motherboard, to be able to get sensible upgrade on gaming simply by adding another card....

yes incase u havent noticed im in the middle of getting another 7900GT coz i played Dark messiah demo and it hurts me i cant put all settings to max even at 1280x1024 (my native lcd)... i mean.... hows my system gonna handle newer games in 2-3months?? i dont wanna spend money on the G80 behemoth, and its such a waste to upgrade to GTX or GX2, and i have an SLI mobo and i intend to use my investment invested early this year...

just my 2c....

im not saying all people with a single card and an SLI mobo buying another card and put them on SLI is your only and best option, Gawd no, but if u have a decent high-end card (like a 7900GS) and a SLI-capable mobo, sometimes its cheaper to make use of it.

some cases of course, with Dx10 era is dawning, if possible at all, get a best card u can afford out there.... so next year or so, when u saved up all those money and ready to go dual-vga-blazing, u can pop another one ;)

man rather than another 7600GT ud better grab the GTO while u can... :)

for anything lower than 7900GS, if u wanna upgrade and it has to be nvidia, id say there's really no sens buying anything other than the GTO.... specially when G80 is rumoured to be released mid-november.....

I guess i'll just keep using just the 1 card since this card runs everything in High Quality with no problems. Thanks guys for all the info and I would like to say that it seems that DFI Forums do a better job of completly answering questions and you also have the answers faster than any other out there. I belong to 4 other forums and this by far is the best. Keep up the great work guys!!

Like DrNick said SLI increase performance everywhere, not only in benchmarks, which result in "eye candy" all the way :)

IMO, two small'ish cards in SLI beat a bigger single card... plain and simple. Two 7900GT will be faster than any x1950xt or 7900GTX, same with two 7800GT's compared against a sinlge big card of their cathegory. It is that easy to increase performance, the only dificulty is to find the exact same type of video card because even if you can mix manufacturers you can't mix diferent speeds that easily.

You can mix speeds as well. The only thing is that both cards will run at the slowest cards default speed to begin with. The main thing with SLI is you CAN'T MIX different bios versions they have to have the same GPU and bios version. I ran a BFG 7800 gt oc @ 425 with an XFX 7800 gt oc @ 450 both cards posted default at 425, but then overclocked to 470. With that being said had I used 2 XFX cards with a default clock speed of 450 natuarly my overclock would have been higher. With the second card in I noticed a small increase in eyecandy butr the biggest increase was in FPS and how smothly the game ran, much quicker, and sharper image. With COD2 [desighned with SLI in mind] the smoke edges were more realistic and the body count , number of bodies laying around increase and stayed on screen longer. I persoanly feel SLI is realy cool but until the game manufactureres design games capable of utilizing all of SLI capasities then SLI will still be a cost driven Technology insread of a have to have. I just canned my SLI rig and bought 1 7900 gto hopefully when u sell both 7800 I will get another gto

Forget about games... lets just hope nVidia can make good drivers, since the ones they have usually have bugs even with in bugs :(

Sorry to highjack, but I take exception to your comment about Nvidia bugs.

I had been a lifelong ATI supporter but there is no question Nvidia takes their driver support much more seriously. Hands down Nvidia drivers were much better than ATI over the past 5 years. (for video - I hate their nForce drivers)

Why the heck am I installing 3rd party drivers for ATI cards just to run popular games anyway? Granted they have pulled up their socks, but over the past 5 years I have pulled out more hair than I care to admit because of crappy ATI driver support for their superior hardware design.

Nvidia has earned their place in my wallet as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to highjack, but I take exception to your comment about Nvidia bugs.

I had been a lifelong ATI supporter but there is no question Nvidia takes their driver support much more seriously. Hands down Nvidia drivers were much better than ATI over the past 5 years. (for video - I hate their nForce drivers)

Why the heck am I installing 3rd party drivers for ATI cards just to run popular games anyway? Granted they have pulled up their socks, but over the past 5 years I have pulled out more hair than I care to admit because of crappy ATI driver support for their superior hardware design.

Nvidia has earned their place in my wallet as far as I am concerned.

BFG 6800GT 256MB @ 420 - 1100

Thats because you use a video card that doesn't have any problems with the drivers... or, the drivers actually work with that card... I know, I have two of them and ran them in SLI until last July.

If you haven't see how bad the 7950GX2 works with these "wonderfull" drivers then thats why you talk so well about them. Believe me, the drivers suck... they work really well with in a few hours after booting into the OS, however later they stop working as they should and the quality settings at driver control panel level become useless.

Yeah ATI have been having troubles with their drivers... but if I can say the same thing you did then ATI drivers are PERFECT, they work perfectly with my 9800XT card on my second system... and ATI makes new drivers every 32 days, something nVidia doesn't. I say ATI drivers are a gift from God.

Sarcasm aside, I think both manufacturers rushed new hardware out to the stores before even perfecting their drivers... since both manufacturers state of the art video cards have a ton of problems with them, plain and simple. Saying one is good and the other bad, thats wrong... thats why I only mentioned nVidia in my post.

I have been pushed into using BETA drivers now, all because nVidia lazyness to develope new drivers quickly, I will have to wait 90 days which is 3 times more than ATI users for new drivers... something I did when I was using old 91.31, only to see the same problems months later with 91.47. And don't get me started on how "wonderful" the BETA drivers are... :mad:

So, right now both manufacturers have lousy drivers... but one has LESS BAD user support :rolleyes: