Sign in to follow this  
ianmknight

See RAID for danger (Venus/Expert)

If you are considering a RAID read this and make sure you have an external backup of your system/important files.

Background:

I have a three disk system:

SATA Raptor 70gb as Boot Disk C:

SATA Raptor 70Gb as my software development disk.. (All this stuff I am currently working on YEARS OF WORK) D:

SATA WD1600 for my download stuff (drivers, small application bought on line, all my digital pictures etc) PLUS A BACKUP OF THE D: DISK (Development software) E:

These disks are plugged in to the nVidia controller in my Expert/Venus.

Most Friday’s I do a drag and drop of my D: development software disk to the E:. This provides me with a simple and very effective backup of the software I develop.

About every month or so, I save this backup E: disk to my old standby PC. This gives me a second backup of the development software and a first backup of all the other stuff.. Ok, so this is not a glamorous solution, it is a bit of a pain also and in the heat of life sometimes one of the backup cycles gets skipped and I am out by a couple of weeks or month…

So I decided to implement a RAID solutions, I found on that ONLINE AUCTION web site some new WD400 40GB disks at a bargain price, five disks for less than the price of a single 70 gb raptor. So I installed four of these to the 3114 SilImage control and set them up as a mirrored strip. (RAID10 two strips that are mirrored) This gave me an 80 gb RAID array, that by all accounts should be fast and RELIABLE. After much testing and benching it turns out to be overall much faster than a single 70gb raptor, although the seek time is a little slower.

Next I unplug my current single disks (CDE) from the nVidia control, installed these four WD400 on the nVidia and set it up as a RAID10, installed XP and did some more benching to see if the nVidia RAID10 was any better than the 3114. (It was about the same)

So with all this new knowledge I decided to setup the system with a SilImage 3114 RAID10 for my development software D: disk, as it was fast and supposed to be secure. Then use the pair of raptors as a RAID1 boot disk. And a pair of WD1600 RAID1 for all my other stuff, both of these RAID1’s to be on the nVidia.

This is where it all goes wrong

So I powered off, moved all the disks to there original controllers and ports.

Four WD400 to the 3114, and the two raptor 70’s and WD1600 to the nVidia, AND DISABLED THE Nvida RAID10 in the bios.

As expected the system came up in it original configuration and worked perfectly.

I copied my development files (current D: disk) to the RAID10 (X: disk) with out problem. So I thought as all my development software is currently safe on my D: disk and backed up to the E: I would test out the RAID10 on the 3114. So I powered off, unpluged one of the RAID10 disks and powered on again. I saw in the BIOS boot display that a disk was missing from the RAID10 but when Windows booted no error was reported to say part of the RAID10 had failed. I looked at the data on the RAID10 and it was OK also the D: and E: where fine. So I powered off, pluged in the RAID10 disk I had removed and started the system up again. The XP boot was slower than normal and seemed to have a lot more disk activity. However, when XP had booted the RAID10 X: disk had completely lost the development files I had copied to it. Also, and this is the REALLY BAD NEWS, the raptor d: and the wd1600 f: where also corrupted/destroyed. So much so that they reported as not formatted RAW disks.

What I think has happened is that XP or some driver saw the faulty RAID10 x: disk on the 3114 and tried to fix the NOW REMOVED RAID10 on the nVidia, the result was that every has been lost, on the D:,E and X: disks

I am currently working with the good people at BootMaster to try to recover all my lost data and year of development work.

Wish me luck IMK

Read a post I made in how to set up raid 1 I tell you exactly how you can have dual back up features of Raid 1 with out the OS installed I even tell you what not to do as I have spent a couple of days proving this theory as fact when others said that it was not possible without the OS installed!

In my lifetime I will never understand why people will continue to use enthusiast boards as enterprise solutions. I have never lost anything I couldn't afford to lose on any rig. Three companies come to mind when I build a rig for business. Tyan, Intel and LSI.. Nvidia and DFI never enter my mind at any point for this type of rig.

I don't have the need to simulate drive failures because I know my data is secure and that I can reliably rebuild the array before I ever boot to Windows.

I feel for you losing a years worth of work and the E drive should be easily recovered but running an overclocked rig at 280 X 10 on an enthusiast board, then simulating a drive failure with a RAID 0+1 (which is not raid 10 as listed in the bios) on a nvidia desktop solution chip was a bad idea...

Well I don't know about ianmknight but I like the purdy colors and I am insane!:D I only did mine with about a dozen of music files each time to see if it could be done just because I was told I couldn't be done without the OS installed! Plus I dont have that $1000.00 it would take to buy the Areca card that I would want, but I still like the Purdy colors!

i hope everything works out for you, but you kinda threw yourself into the hole everyone told you to avoid.

i have nothing on my RAID 0 that i cant afford to lose..hell i even backup my saved game files for the games i play JIC.

Hear that and I concure MR President! I dont keep anything on my raid 0 array except for my gaming stuff and normal crap like firefox adobe reader you know the basics! My primary every day is formatted with no Raid of any manner in my opinion Raid 0 other than in a server or strickly for buisiness has no use as you're primary OS unless its used just for business other wise its too risky and alot of programs for the every day end user dont function properly in a raid enviornment anyway!

Read a post I made in how to set up raid 1 I tell you exactly how you can have dual back up features of Raid 1 with out the OS installed I even tell you what not to do as I have spent a couple of days proving this theory as fact when others said that it was not possible without the OS installed!
Link? (thanks)

In my lifetime I will never understand why people will continue to use enthusiast boards as enterprise solutions. I have never lost anything I couldn't afford to lose on any rig. Three companies come to mind when I build a rig for business. Tyan, Intel and LSI.. Nvidia and DFI never enter my mind at any point for this type of rig.

I don't have the need to simulate drive failures because I know my data is secure and that I can reliably rebuild the array before I ever boot to Windows.

I feel for you losing a years worth of work and the E drive should be easily recovered but running an overclocked rig at 280 X 10 on an enthusiast board, then simulating a drive failure with a RAID 0+1 (which is not raid 10 as listed in the bios) on a nvidia desktop solution chip was a bad idea...

this is maybe the wisest thing I've read from a forum user in the last few months....

Vote for PIMP DADDY for President!!!:Dhttp://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64843 Here you go dude this one

Do my eyes deceive me?:eek: Are you actually agreeing with Pimp Daddy..Travis?:D

Just to let you all know, I managed to recover all the data as anly the MBR and partition table had been screwed up by this RAID10/0+1 problem. I am going back to my orignal solution that has worked for many years. So I going to find myself/or write a nice little automatic backup util..

All the bast IMK

Just to let you all know, I managed to recover all the data as anly the MBR and partition table had been screwed up by this RAID10/0+1 problem. I am going back to my orignal solution that has worked for many years. So I going to find myself/or write a nice little automatic backup util..

All the bast IMK

Good to hear you saved it!! :)