Sign in to follow this  
Coolrunnings

Lanparty UT Ultra-D

Guest GripS

How is it not booting? Which led is it stopping at (the four led's at them bottom left hand corner of the board)?

This is what i have so far: System get's random lockups. The only components changed so far are motherboard and PSU. Is this correct? Did you try building it 'out of the box' and test for stability?

Memtest is good for ram and that's it. Try running prime95 for true stability testing.

Don't give up.... The more you troubleshoot the more you learn. That is.... if you want to learn.

Oh wait. I see you 'imaged' the drive. Just do a clean install. I have been very lucky. 5 hard drives and not one has gone bad(since 2000). Knocking on wood as we speak.

Been through hard drive, motherboard, PSU, video card, all cables, and optical drive. The system will pass post, but every time it goes to boot, whether from hard drives or from the CD drives, it locks. The reason I'm giving up is because I can get this system stable for a day or two or maybe even a week but then all hell breaks loose and the system will either start getting stuck with reboots, hard locks, or the screen just going black. It passes 12 hours of prime95 running on both cores at the same time (when it was still booting off of CDs)...

I can empathize with you.. when sh!t breaks down it usually is a stunner with me. For no reason mine crapped out yesterday and I spent most of the day today tearing it down and putting it back together piece by piece like I did when I first built it. As mentioned before, I would definitely follow the instructions for the initial build and step through it piece by piece until you find the culprit.

Have you had the system stable at all stock settings after clearing the CMOS and a fresh install of Windoze? I would go for the basics if I were you and start eliminating problems.

Yeah, I've done that so many times it's not even funny. After you have between 50 to 60 hours invested in a system and the error is intermittant but deadly, I normally figure it's time to count my losses. It's just not worth the headaches involved anymore for me. Anybody here have an opinion on the DFI Infinity 975X chipset board for my next build?

Yeah, I agree with you on that and I actually repair PCs for a living. The problem is that with my busy schedule, I have to have a machine up and going so I can do my job and having to constantly be working on this computer to get it stable cripples me from being able to get my work done, it saps my time for other stuff, and since I already do so much work like this for clients, it's not worth my time to do it at home if I can pay for replacement parts. If you guys know anyone who wants the parts from that machine, I'd probably let them go for very good deals and warranty the parts as non-DOA. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. :(