Very odd power up issue

I have searched these hallowed forums to exhaustion, and haven't found anyone with quite the same issue I'm getting.

Within the past few weeks my comp has been showing signs of a bad alternator. :D I have to hold down the power button to get the machine to boot. It will 'flash' (fans spin for about 1/10 of a second) at about one second intervals for anywhere from 2-15 'flashes' before starting up. Once the 'flashes' cease and power is applied full time, it boots up and runs like a champ. For clarification, the ram LED and LED in the lower left corner of the mobo are steady at all times - so the PSU is putting out enough juice for at least two LEDs. :rolleyes:

I've pulled the machine apart, rewired and reconnected everything, just to make sure a cord didn't work loose somewhere. The issue persists. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between cold boots and hot boots taking any longer... as best I can see it, the number of 'flashes' prior to a successful startup is random.

My first guess would be PSU, but before I haul off and drop the cash for a new juice box, I'd like some assurance that the PSU is the likely candidate.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can offer.

Sure sounds like the PSU here. But, it sounds like it's a load sensing (thinks there's a short) or droop or spike under load problem. You may not be able to test for that with just a DMM. Can you borrow someone's spare PSU -- or maybe talk them into pulling their's for a quick test?

I had that issue with a HIPER Type R580. Only difference was that holding the power button in didn't help. I RMAd the PSU, new one did the same thing. HIPER built the same rig as mine, no problems encountered. They contacted DFi, no help there. My PC Power & Cooling 510SLI and my current OCZ GameXStream 600w encountered no issues at all.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it may help from the point of view that the only solution for me was another PSU. Both HIPERS ran my DFI NF3 250GB flawlesly.