Is PWM giving misleading/wrong temps?

While doing some tests on how hot my components get with all fans off, under full load (and keeping a very watchfull eye), I noticed something strange. The PWM temperature was sky rocketing very quickly, and within a minute, it was levelling off at nearly 100C. I know it's rated for a bit more than that, but that was too high for comfort, so I set every fan to 100%. The PWM plummeted, but way lower than was expected. It fell down to -18C (???). It's mostly only stock fans inside my compy, so it makes me wonder, can I not trust that temperature readings I'm getting. What would cause such an obviously incorrect reading?

While doing some tests on how hot my components get with all fans off, under full load (and keeping a very watchfull eye), I noticed something strange. The PWM temperature was sky rocketing very quickly, and within a minute, it was levelling off at nearly 100C. I know it's rated for a bit more than that, but that was too high for comfort, so I set every fan to 100%. The PWM plummeted, but way lower than was expected. It fell down to -18C (???). It's mostly only stock fans inside my compy, so it makes me wonder, can I not trust that temperature readings I'm getting. What would cause such an obviously incorrect reading?

I'd say the sensor must be going bad, or the software that accesses it is getting really, really confused.

I could almost believe the 100 degree temp, though I've never heard of anything more than around 70-75 max (50 average probably)...but anytihng negative obviously isn't right.

No, the -18 isn't a typo, and I'm using SpeedFan to tell me my temps (all the other temps I get seem to be about par). I guess I should just take that reading with a grain of salt then, and pay more attention to the other, seemingly more accurate results.