Sign in to follow this  
TicTacBlAsT

Scythe Ninja + AS5 - Average Temps

I have an Athlon X2 3800+ Toledo LCBIE 0618

However I am having some trouble cooling it. I have installed my Scythe NInja mutiples of times re-doing the As5 every time but still every time I am getting idle temps of 32-36c and load temps of 45-49C at stock.

Obviously this gives me no room to overclock, although I have just tried 2.6ghz at 1.24v and it been stable for the half hour i ran it in Orthos. The load temp was about 50C, the idle about 33C. This is too high right? Using CoreTemp, my cores averaged at about 51C + 58C. My room temperature is pretty cold today. I'm in the UK with my window open and no heating, so I'm guessing about 17C.

I have a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR, and I am using the stock backplate - as I am currently running caseless the long screws are not important. i had heard bad things about the stick Scythe backplate. I can't see how this would affect cooling.

The heatsink feels firm. I can wobble it a bit but it seems square and nothing screams 'crooked' or anything.

Onto the arctic silver, I have read every AS5 thread possible and tried different methods. .

If I put a rice sized grain blob in the middle when I take my heatsink off it only covers about 1/4 of the cpu - it definitely isn't covering the whole core. It isn't smooth either, the arctic silver is all rippley and sticky when I take the heatsink off, so its not as though its a thin layer.

If I add more on I always manage to put the heatsink on wrong first so it becomes a bit of a mess and is just larger areas of 'rippley' As5.

Yesterday I got a knife to try and spread it. I spread the AS5 over nearly all of the cpu so it was really thin and you couldn't see too many ripples. It wasn't see through or anything but it was a complete cover. It obviously wasn't perfect but it seemed alright. This is what I currently have for the quite high temperatures above. .I have a feeling it just must not be enough AS5!?

The heatsink has gone through the stage of being in a case and out, with no major temperature difference. There is also a fan blowing in the same direction the fan on the Scythe Ninja is taking air, so I don't think my airflow for the heatsink is terrible. Woudl it make a difference which side I put the Scythe fan on assuming it fits?

So any advice comments on what I might be doing wrong, or what to think?

Thanks.

I have a feeling it just must not be enough AS5!?
i just wanted to comment on this one line. if you have "complete coverage" as you said, then that would be enough. in fact, you might have too much. you are just trying to fill microscopic voids with AS5, not fill voids that are millimeters thick. if you put too much AS5 on there, then your temps will go up b/c it will act as a barrier.

you might need to lap your heatsink. if the surface is really concave or convex, you might not be getting good contact and just adding more AS5 to fill the gap isnt' really going to help. heatsinks are usually pretty flat from the factory, but there can always be exceptions.

as for the ninja, i think it is a really good cooler. i have a P4 3.06Ghz w/HT. for years i used it as my main computer with an alpha HSF and the temp was about 48-49C with the CPU at 3.2Ghz. well, recently i switched out the MB (and memory) to make a family/seti computer. i switched the HSF to the ninja. now the CPU runs at 3.5Ghz (could probably go higher, haven't played with it really) and stays at about 42C. very nice!

i just wanted to comment on this one line. if you have "complete coverage" as you said, then that would be enough. in fact, you might have too much. you are just trying to fill microscopic voids with AS5, not fill voids that are millimeters thick. if you put too much AS5 on there, then your temps will go up b/c it will act as a barrier.

!

Yes, I kind of realise that was a bit of a silly comment so thanks for the info on it. .

I will try another reseat checking the surfaces of the heatsink soon.

I don't know the Ninja but with my 3800+ Toledo at 2.8 GHz @ 1.44v and a Thermalright SI-120 my temps are 30 Idle / 42 Load with the fan on medium and 17ºC ambient temp.

Guest Timmay

One thing I found is I had to set my CPU Fan to FULLY turn on at like 25°C that dropped my load a fair amount.

Give that a shot.